Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-03-2004, 05:11 AM

I had to cut the cooler line at the radiator to remove the radiator. The line was frozen on the nut. I would like to replace both cooler lines now that the lines are off the radiator. Problem is that I can't get to the nuts at the transmission. How do you get to the nuts without the special tool...J22731 oil filter pipe wrench?

I have a 2-speed automatic on my 1968 Firebird.

Old 09-03-2004, 05:11 AM

I had to cut the cooler line at the radiator to remove the radiator. The line was frozen on the nut. I would like to replace both cooler lines now that the lines are off the radiator. Problem is that I can't get to the nuts at the transmission. How do you get to the nuts without the special tool...J22731 oil filter pipe wrench?

I have a 2-speed automatic on my 1968 Firebird.

Old 09-03-2004, 06:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Snap-On, Mac tolls and others offer special line-wrench crowfoot type sockets to reach up in between those lines and get 'em loose. I believe what you will need is 1/2" hex size. Not talking about a regular crowfoot socket - these are made specially for accessing the trans cooler lines at the transmission.

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 09-06-2004, 03:31 AM

Thanks, Lloyd! I saw the price on-line at Snap-on. Ouch! Craftsman has them in their power and hand tool catalog. $10 each but you have to buy a set of 10. That's $100 to remove my lines. Instead, I spent half a day going around to friends to see if they have the tool. Everyone knew what they were, but no one had them. I went to a Harbor Freight tool store across town. I bought a set of 6 for under $11 and it worked - no stripping!!

I am doing this for anyone doing searches to find this answer:

The formal name is called a crowfoot flare nut wrench or crowfoot flarenut wrench used for reaching a line nut in hard to reach places. I needed it to reach the line at the automatic transmission. They also sell a crowfoot wrench that looks like an open end wrench.