Old 05-07-2003, 06:49 PM
Senior Chief

I have a 74 GTO with 49K miles. I had installed a rebuilt Roch. Quad and the car ran well until the carb started flooding on idle, takeoff and passing were good. I then removed the carb and sent it back to the rebuilder. Once I reinstalled the carb, the car would backfire through the carb and had no takeoff or any power when under a strain. Since the carb was under warranty, I purchased another carb(by another rebuilder). Now the car does not backfire, but still has no takeoff power. It runs OK once up to speed, unless you punch it. Any ideas? I really want to get this one on the road.

Old 05-07-2003, 06:49 PM
Senior Chief

I have a 74 GTO with 49K miles. I had installed a rebuilt Roch. Quad and the car ran well until the carb started flooding on idle, takeoff and passing were good. I then removed the carb and sent it back to the rebuilder. Once I reinstalled the carb, the car would backfire through the carb and had no takeoff or any power when under a strain. Since the carb was under warranty, I purchased another carb(by another rebuilder). Now the car does not backfire, but still has no takeoff power. It runs OK once up to speed, unless you punch it. Any ideas? I really want to get this one on the road.

Old 05-18-2003, 10:05 AM

It sounds like a real bad vacuum leak. The vacuum leak will cuase too much air and not enough fuel into the engine resulting in lack of power and intake backfire.(very lean) . Check and make sure all your vacuum hoses are connected and not used ports are plugged. Sounds like do to the fact it ran good except for flooding before you pulled the carb. Something got disturbed that is causing the vacuum leak.

Old 05-19-2003, 04:44 PM
Senior Chief

It is running better now...seemed to be several factors including the timing, etc. I still need to do some tweaking, but did put 40-50 miles on it and it seemed to do OK. After sitting up for 20 yrs, it is taking some effort to work the bugs out!

Old 06-02-2003, 07:00 PM

SIMPLE IS WERE I LIKE TO START. CARB CLEANER IS THE SHIZZNIT FOR VACCUME LEAK TESTING. SPRAY AND IF THE ENGINE GO UP YOU FOUND IT . TIMING, IDLE SPEED, CHOKE, AND THAT STUFF ARE ALL GOOD PLACES TO START AND MOST IMPORTANTLY CHEAP! GOOD LUCK!