Old 11-10-2004, 11:01 PM

Ok guys, here is my question. I have a 1963 2dr. catalina 389 2bl auto, when I start the car and the engine is cold it runs fine and acceleration is great, but when it warms up to correct engine temp it runs fine but I have hardley any acceleration , I have to feather the gas to get it to move! I am thinking maybe cracked manifold, and when it heats up air might be getting in? not sure, any help would be great!

Old 11-10-2004, 11:01 PM

Ok guys, here is my question. I have a 1963 2dr. catalina 389 2bl auto, when I start the car and the engine is cold it runs fine and acceleration is great, but when it warms up to correct engine temp it runs fine but I have hardley any acceleration , I have to feather the gas to get it to move! I am thinking maybe cracked manifold, and when it heats up air might be getting in? not sure, any help would be great!

Old 11-11-2004, 05:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tranny is OK?

Old 11-11-2004, 06:31 PM

1) Yes, the tranny is good!

2) I will try your sugestions, thanks

Old 11-11-2004, 08:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Remember the carb potmetal has a higher expansion rate than that cast iron manifold. Sounds like the carb is the culprit. Check for leaks aound the bottom of carb, tighten the hold down bolts, and or, replace the carb to manifold gasket and tighten bolts. It could be expanding and creating a leak. (Again a "Carb King" Kit will work wonders.)Also tighten the small screws holding the carb together. And by all means, check for intake manifold leaks like Pitts indicated. The idle speed will pick-up if the spray hits a leaking spot. Good luck!

Old 11-16-2004, 06:58 PM
Senior Chief

Also, carefully check all of your vacuum hoses for cracks. As they get old they tend to crack, split and generally make life hard on everyone.

May the torque be with you.