Old 02-26-2004, 01:34 PM

Hi guys,

I bought a 69 Lemans w/ sprint engine, the car is in junk situation. According to deal w/ Junkyard owner he will give me a 350cui pontiac engine and TH350 installed on back of it.

Next summer I ll start to work on the car but before starting I need some tricks - code numbers for choosing the good Pontiac engine.

Sprint engine is a strange engine, but its 6cyl. does it worth to built it? (I dont thin so but just want to be sure)

Thanks.
Burak.

Old 02-26-2004, 01:34 PM

Hi guys,

I bought a 69 Lemans w/ sprint engine, the car is in junk situation. According to deal w/ Junkyard owner he will give me a 350cui pontiac engine and TH350 installed on back of it.

Next summer I ll start to work on the car but before starting I need some tricks - code numbers for choosing the good Pontiac engine.

Sprint engine is a strange engine, but its 6cyl. does it worth to built it? (I dont thin so but just want to be sure)

Thanks.
Burak.

Old 02-26-2004, 03:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to 1-GTO

As difficult as it is to get an OHC-6 Sprint engine rebuilt here in the USA,and your in Turkey I would go with a 350 or better yet a 400 engine.
I'll dig up some 1969 350 numbers for you when I find my book.I have 2 1969 LeMans you can view in my Profile if you want to?

Are you wanting a 1969 motor that would have been in a '69 LeMans or you just looking for good engine for your car?

GTO.....Gran Turismo Omologato,True Pontiac Excitement!

Old 02-26-2004, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just so you know (before you modify this car):
74 cars - LeMans Sprint two-door post coupe
378 cars - LeMans Sprint two-door hardtop
7 cars - LeMans Sprint four-door hardtop
48 cars - LeMans Sprint convertible

Glenn Uettwiller http://home.earthlink.net/~birdman8/index.html

Only the visionary who sees the invisible can achieve the impossible.

Old 02-27-2004, 02:24 AM

Thanks for the replies,

It seems like its impossible to find a 69 lemans engine here, there are a few and they are mostly in mint condition, I have only chance to find a good 350 pontiac engine ( 400cui engines are hard to find too) . Since I ll swap to a 350cui the car will not be a numbers matching car anymore, I ll make a street strip car with rollcage, autometer cauges, racing harnesses etc.

My plan is: getting a pontiac engine , totally rebuild it w/ forged pistons and rods, prepare for the "juice" ... thats why Im looking for good/strong pontiac engine, I need codes/suffix numbers of engine blocks...

Is there any pages showing this codes?

Old 02-27-2004, 06:27 AM

wallace racing will have the info you're wanting.

tuned properly that sprint 6 will surprise you with it's performance and milage.

too bad parts are tough to find.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 02-27-2004, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd stick with the 6, or at least be careful not to modify the car in a way that can't easily be returned to it's original state. The OHC 6 is a neat engine and an unusual combination to see these days.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 02-27-2004, 02:04 PM

You are right, Overheadcam is really strange engine for 1969, Im really confused about keeping the sprint or not. On the other hand car is not running, rusty rolling chasis, all parts stuffed in side. It will vacuum $$$ from my wallet if I try to restore it to original appearance. I ll keep the original parts in garage, but built the car as a street/strip car, I ll recondition the upholstery and install to the car but I ll put racing seats and harness, autometer gauges.

After this ı can search for the right parts to restore, then I can start. My other ride is a 74 z28/lt, looks like a street car but its 420hp , I want Lemans looks wild ( I plan to paint it non gloss black).

By the way thanks for the link, I ll check it now.
Thanks.
Burak

Old 02-27-2004, 02:07 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mike nixon:

tuned properly that sprint 6 will surprise you with it's performance and milage.

too bad parts are tough to find.

mike<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike, you are right, ı checked the specs of it, allmost same hp level with SBC s

Parts are really PITA here ıts impossible to find part for a sprint engine here... I have to buy then from US. I did the same thing for my Camaro before.

Old 02-27-2004, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

But it's also becoming difficult to procure 350 engine parts, I think. I've heard that the piston supply is drying up, so the only logical Pontiac V8 choice is the 400.

Before you make any more decisions or spend any more time and money, check out the Overhead Cam Six Forums: http://pub83.ezboard.com/bsohcsix

Glenn Uettwiller http://home.earthlink.net/~birdman8/index.html

Only the visionary who sees the invisible can achieve the impossible.

Old 02-27-2004, 05:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here are some 1969 350 engine codes to look for if your wanting to stay some what close to factory specifications for the 1969 models.

350 engine: 2-bbl carb
265 HP
Manual transmission
WC WP WM WU
Automatic transmissions
XL YJ XR YN XB YE UY XS

350 engine: 4-bbl carb
325 HP
Manual transmission
WK WN
Automatic transmissions
XC XD

350 engine: 4-bbl carb
330 HP
Manual transmission
WR WV
Automatic transmission
XT XU YP

Old 03-01-2004, 04:31 AM

Thanks for the responses,

I ll swap the inline 6 , but I ll keep it to rebuild, its really interesting engine.

When it comes to V8 issue, I will check the junkyards inventory, if they have a 400cui, I ll go for it, other wise go with a 350. Infact junkyard owner doesnt have idea about if sprint engine worth or not I take the V8 engine as compensating the cars being 6cyl

Thanks for the code numbers.

Old 03-01-2004, 04:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you do find a 350 or 400 engine there will be a date casting on the block by the distributor hole and a part number on the back side of the engine,there is also the engine code on the front of the block,passenger side just below where the head sits flush on the block.
There will also be a date casting on the intake and on the side of the heads,and a code casted on the center exhaust port of the heads.Get this information and post it if you need any of the engines checked before you choose one.

Old 03-02-2004, 02:46 AM

I would realy appreciate your help, thanks a lot.

Hopefully this sunday I can get the castings, then you can check for me.

that was exactly the thing I wanna do

*On my L82 SCB, I swapped to 461 camelhumps, cc ed them + used steel shim 0.015" and had CR 10.72:1. Im looking for a similar trick again

As far as I learn from the other posts in here stock pontiac 400 or 350 crank can handle nos applications, also short rods too is that correct?
Also, what is the stock material in the pistons? forged steel or cast iron?
Im a real rookie on Pontiac, isnt it