Old 12-24-2003, 05:45 PM

Hi: A friend has a '93 Formula hardtop that usually reliable sources report has a rod now permanently residing in the oil pan. We suspect the topend is OK (hoping to open it up this next week) and we're now trying to determine our options.
The salvage yard tells us the ONLY totally interchangable LT-1 motor is from a '92 'vette, and a '93-94 Camaro/Firebird. Anyone know if this is true? Why is a mid-90s LT-1 (like a '96 T/A motor) not interchangable?
If we're right and the topend is OK, does anyone know what varieties of "LT-1" short-block assemblies we can use to get back up and running (on the cheap)? Or are we better off just paying the money and buying a "complete" LT-1 motor, and selling off the remaining good parts of the broken LT-1??
Thanks and Merry Christmas! jj

Old 12-24-2003, 05:45 PM

Hi: A friend has a '93 Formula hardtop that usually reliable sources report has a rod now permanently residing in the oil pan. We suspect the topend is OK (hoping to open it up this next week) and we're now trying to determine our options.
The salvage yard tells us the ONLY totally interchangable LT-1 motor is from a '92 'vette, and a '93-94 Camaro/Firebird. Anyone know if this is true? Why is a mid-90s LT-1 (like a '96 T/A motor) not interchangable?
If we're right and the topend is OK, does anyone know what varieties of "LT-1" short-block assemblies we can use to get back up and running (on the cheap)? Or are we better off just paying the money and buying a "complete" LT-1 motor, and selling off the remaining good parts of the broken LT-1??
Thanks and Merry Christmas! jj

Old 12-24-2003, 06:49 PM
Senior Chief

I know the fuel system is different, but Im not sure about the rest of the engine. GIve me till monday and ill find out for you. Ill check some part numbers. Usually wreckin yards are pretty good about interchangability.
You do know the engine comes out from the bottom of the car correct?
It is really easy to remove the engine, but a lift or SOME serious jack stands are in order.
If you want some tips on removeing the engine let me know. Iv done a dozen or so LT-1 and LS-1
in the F body

Old 12-25-2003, 09:08 PM

Travis, thanks in advance for doing some digging on this information. The salvage yard man is who told us of the supposed only "3" interchange options. We still think we might be able to come up with a shortblock from something and re-use the car's existing top end....
Any tips on pulling the motor out is certainly of interest. We are hoping to go to a U-Wrench-It on Saturday and luck into a motor..... which will be an interesting trip if we do, 'cause I am sure it will be hard to "pull" the motor out of a car there- they usually have the chain-lifts to pull the motor, not quite sure how they do one when the proper way is to drop it out of the bottom!! jj

Old 12-26-2003, 09:52 PM

I've been into the late-model thing the past few years with my '97 Z-28 that remains my daily driver; just getting back into the true Pontiacs with my '81 that's been sitting for a while. I think the interchangability thing with the LT1 that salvage yard is talking about relates to the computer: '92-'93 were batch-fire injection/speed-density computer(uses a replaceable chip), '94-up were sequential injection/mass-air computer(uses a programmable PCM). Also OBD-1 computer diagnostics was from '94-'95, while OBD-2 was from '96-'97. Anyways, your buddy's LT1, like all LT1's built from '92-'97, has a standard SBC bottom-end. Most any '86-up one piece main seal crank for SBC and corresponding rods/pistons will work for it. No biggie. '96-only LT4 crank is different as far as the machining Chevy did with it in order for it to survive the higher RPM capability of the LT4 used in the '96 manual tranny Vettes; I don't know if they will work in a regular LT1 block. Vette LT1 are four-bolt main, F-body/B-body LT1's are two-bolt main. A pretty cheap source for brand-new Vette LT1 4-bolt main short-blocks is Scoggins-Dickey Parts Center, www.sdpc2000.com , for $1795.00 minus cam and timing components according to their ad in GM High-Tech 1/'04; funny thing is I can't find that short-block assembly in their website so you may have to call. Only thing difficult to upgrade with the late-model LT1 is factory Optispark ignition; it is also it's Achilles according to some. Otherwise heads/cam and other mods are pretty easy to come by. Good luck.

1981 Turbo Trans Am
-'75 Pontiac 400
-Richmond Street 5-speed/3.70's
-Holley 650cfm 4-barrel on 1/2in. spacer, blocked exhaust crossover, 160 degree thermostat, Blackjack 1-5/8 in. 4-tube headers, Thrush 2-1/4in. dual exhaust w/ Thrush California Turbo mufflers, no A/C-no emissions; drunk bitch induced front-end damage, placed on indefinite hiatus.

1974 Grand Am
-original 400/4-barrel
-original M21 4-speed
-dad's first new car, sitting in his garage since '86.

[This message was edited by ponchoV-ate on December 27, 2003 at 12:23 AM.]

-bought 6/'89, sold 2/'07
1974 Grand Am
-400, 4-barrel
-4-speed
-72,533 original miles
-Dad's first new car; been sitting in his garage since '86
2002 Trans Am
-the latest D.D.
-goals: low 12's-high 11's and 20+ mpg's on the highway
Old 12-27-2003, 02:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My brother in law has a complete LT-1 and LT-4 he is planning on selling says he will keep the computer for backup though I'm only 45 minutes from you up in Hannibalje_tallman@yahoo.com

Jerry Tallman

Old 12-28-2003, 05:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Johnny, for exact info go here...
Z28.com
(Not taking anything away from what Poncho said)

PonchoV-ate, I miss seeing you on Badrap...

----------------------------
If you can read this, thank a teacher.... If you are reading it in
English, thank a Soldier.

Old 12-29-2003, 08:27 AM

Thanks for the kind words T/A Dave, even though I've never met 'ya! Last time I saw the BR guys was a couple of months ago right before we got kicked outta Sonics; I'm usually trolling the board as a Guest. Just never have any time to hang, though I'll be at the BR/SFFBA Track Day, wouldn't mind seeing your old T/A there to give me some inspiration if you still got it? Is that your T/A on P-Dude's site? If it is, great idea on how to mount the Dude Scoop; I just got one in the mail. Later.

1981 Turbo Trans Am
-'75 Pontiac 400
-Holley 650cfm 4-barrel on 1/2in. spacer, blocked exhaust crossover, 160 degree thermostat, Blackjack 1-5/8 in. 4-tube headers, Thrush 2-1/4in. dual exhaust w/ Thrush California Turbo mufflers, no A/C-no emissions; drunk bitch induced front-end damage, placed on indefinite hiatus.

1974 Grand Am
-original 400/4-barrel
-original M21 4-speed

1974 Grand Am
-400, 4-barrel
-4-speed
-72,533 original miles
2002 Trans Am
-the latest D.D.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Actually were back at Sonics again. I even got Pontiac Dude and Karin out there one night.

My TA is still down, but I'll be at the track day on the 10th. And yes, that's my white TA on The Dudes site, and I really like my Dude scoop!

I was hoping you'd get more into your LT1 so I could buy your TA...

English, thank a Soldier.

Old 12-29-2003, 11:40 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Holmberg:

I was hoping you'd get more into your LT1 so I could buy your TA...

English, thank a Soldier.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry bossman, I'm gonna be buried in that thing. Anyways, Chevy's are only good as daily drivers.

1981 Turbo Trans Am
-'75 Pontiac 400

1974 Grand Am
-original 400/4-barrel
-original M21 4-speed

1974 Grand Am
-400, 4-barrel
-4-speed
-72,533 original miles
2002 Trans Am
-the latest D.D.