Old 09-10-2004, 01:25 AM

I am under agreement to buy tomorrow and I noticed this car only has one exhaust. did not the 389 4bbl come with duals...now I am wondering if this car is something else....does anybody know of the serial numbers I can expect to see if it is correct...what else can I look for....thanx...

Old 09-10-2004, 01:25 AM

I am under agreement to buy tomorrow and I noticed this car only has one exhaust. did not the 389 4bbl come with duals...now I am wondering if this car is something else....does anybody know of the serial numbers I can expect to see if it is correct...what else can I look for....thanx...

Old 09-10-2004, 01:54 AM
Senior Chief

Frank,
Not 100% sure but I'm guessing that dual exhaust would be an option even a 4BBL Bonneville. Bonnevilles were 8 or 10 inches longer than catalinas in the trunk. A person wouldn't be able to put the Bonny side trim on a 62 Catalina because of the rear quarter panels being longer. If I remember correctly the Catalinas were 23 series cars. I don't know what the Bonnies were and all my Factory Pontiac service manuals are in storage. My catalina project is on hold for a while.
Terry W.

Old 09-11-2004, 08:29 AM

Frank, the style number for '62 Bonnevilles are 2735 (safari), 2867 (convert), 2847 (2dr sport coupe) and 2839 (4dr vista).

There are about 15 different engine codes, depending upon combination. If you'll post the number on the engine, I or someone else can tell you what it is from.

Old 09-11-2004, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Also, if the engine is original, a '62 should have the VIN number stamped on the front of the block, on the passenger side of the timing chain housing (that's where the engine code is as well.)

Old 09-11-2004, 11:29 AM

Our 63 bonneville has 389, 4 barrel, but it only has single exhaust.

Old 09-11-2004, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

According to the dealer sales albums for both 1962 and 1963, dual exhaust was standard on the GP, optional at extra cost on other series.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Out of a 1962 Dealer Facts Book: Single exhaust system is standard on all models except Grand Prix. Dual system is standard on the Grand Prix. Dual systems is optional at extra cost. Special dual system is standard on Trophy V-8 A. The special Trophy systems used the ram-type manifold.