Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 11-29-2003, 04:52 PM

I'm getting backfire through my exhust system usually when the car is not good and warm. I have a leak in the exhust system on my 67 Goat turbo 400. I understand that the backfire is probably unburned fuel igniting as transmission downshifts. The only thing that throws me is, as the backfire occurs, the engine almost stalls out and I have to nurse it to keep it going. The engine almost stalling. Is that one of the symptoms of a leaking exhust backfire? Oh by the way, what is a good replacement system that the noise won't drive you crazy while cruinsing? I did get PY's muffler cd. The only problem with it is all the systems sound great. Any input would be much appreciated. Dusty.

Old 11-29-2003, 04:52 PM

I'm getting backfire through my exhust system usually when the car is not good and warm. I have a leak in the exhust system on my 67 Goat turbo 400. I understand that the backfire is probably unburned fuel igniting as transmission downshifts. The only thing that throws me is, as the backfire occurs, the engine almost stalls out and I have to nurse it to keep it going. The engine almost stalling. Is that one of the symptoms of a leaking exhust backfire? Oh by the way, what is a good replacement system that the noise won't drive you crazy while cruinsing? I did get PY's muffler cd. The only problem with it is all the systems sound great. Any input would be much appreciated. Dusty.

Old 11-29-2003, 05:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it backfires on the downshift, generally the carb is set lean and the engine is still too cold. You must not be running it long enough before you hit it. Now you know what modern EFI technology does for us, eh?

Old 11-30-2003, 07:17 AM

Thanks Shadowjack,
Your right on. Because of the leaking exhust filling my garage under with fumes when I crank it up I get it moving before the engine is good and warm and sure enough down the road a way the backfiring occurs. When driven for a while and engine hot, no backfire problems. I still need a good exhust system. Anyone got one recently that they are really happy with the sound. Any input is appreciated.

Old 11-30-2003, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I put on the 2.5 PYPES system from our sponsor. Used the 14" dynomax super turbo mufflers with an 'X' pipe. I have RA/HO exhaust manifolds, but shouldn't make much difference in sound.

Behind a high compression 389 on a 65 GTO, the sound is awesome. Not too loud, but has that muscle car sound. Just a little louder than stock IMO.

- Jim Doran -Some Pics of my 65

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 11-30-2003, 03:59 PM

Thanks Jim. The exhust system you described is just what the doctor ordered. You have a great looking goat. I'm enjoying the pictures.