The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 06-23-2003, 02:15 PM

Hey, I've got some surface rust (I think) starting to show in spots on my 68 GTO. Problem is I don't have a garage to keep her in at the moment and some jackass stole my car cover. With all the rain and humidity here in south florida, the car is basically taking a bath every night.
It seems like the rust had been gradually getting worse. It's bubbled up in a few spots and in others the rust is starting to show through the paint.

The paint is awful and really needs to be redone, but I'm in a bit of a financial tight spot at the moment. What do you guys recommend? Thanks!

Old 06-23-2003, 02:15 PM

Hey, I've got some surface rust (I think) starting to show in spots on my 68 GTO. Problem is I don't have a garage to keep her in at the moment and some jackass stole my car cover. With all the rain and humidity here in south florida, the car is basically taking a bath every night.
It seems like the rust had been gradually getting worse. It's bubbled up in a few spots and in others the rust is starting to show through the paint.

The paint is awful and really needs to be redone, but I'm in a bit of a financial tight spot at the moment. What do you guys recommend? Thanks!

Old 06-23-2003, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

I recomend that you watch the spots that the rust comes thru, and then sand those areas back down to the bare metal and primer them until the finances get better.

http://www.dannys65gto.com

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/dannys65gto.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg
Old 06-23-2003, 08:09 PM

There is a product on the market that when connected to the battery and body, puts a negative charge to the car. The negative charge is supposed to stop the metal from rusting. I just saw it last weekend on Two guy's garage on TNN. Might want to check their web page for details. It might save you a lot of work when you can get it painted.

Old 06-26-2003, 11:48 AM

Here's the website http://www.counteractrust.com/address to the vendor...

"I've got the fastest looking car standing!"

Old 07-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Senior Chief

gtogixxer,
I live in s. fla also, Hollywood. I don't have a cover but I do keep it garaged. I installed a device called Auto Saver that's supposed to reduce rust formation using a similar technology to that of Counterrust and I'm still getting it. In all fairness I called the manufacturer before buying it and he said he wasn't sure how well it would work on my '66 but on more modern vehicles using galvanized steel he was confident it worked great. I even called people listed as satisfied customers and they all were very happy with it.
Remember down here, especially near the water, salt mist gets on the car daily, especially outside and salt ionizes easier than anything else and ionization is the process that produces rust.

I'm starting to wonder if thoroughly drying the car is the best protection. I see cars in my area from the '60's in great shape with no rust owned by older people who literally spend 2-3 hours drying the car after washing it. I don't know what the answer is but I'd like to find one. If you do let me know

Good luck,
Bob G.

Old 07-06-2003, 03:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

RG
Of course it will work great . When was the last time you saw galvanize metal rust ?? It will work better on Corvettes.

Man is not complete until he's married , then he is finished !

Old 07-06-2003, 09:26 AM
Senior Chief

The CounterAct! electric system is great, but last time I checked, it was running around $300. I think the question was how to do this economically.

My suggestion is to do as Goathead recommends, and strip to bare metal and prime. But be sure to seal the primer with a top coat ... unsealed primer is a moisture sponge, and you could end up with more rust problems than you started with. Be sure to cover it with a good quality car cover or tarp so that rain won't get on it, but is not so airtight that moisture can't escape.

[This message was edited by Bungee on July 06, 2003 at 12:36 PM.]

Old 07-07-2003, 05:33 AM
Senior Chief

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jim darlington:
RG
Of course it will work great . When was the last time you saw galvanize metal rust ?? It will work better on Corvettes. "

Thanks for that insight Jim. I may buy one for my girlfriend to put on her 'vette for Xmas. But as far as galvanized steel rusting you'd better check your info. "IF" the zinc coating stays in tact or doesn't wear thru galvinzed metal still rusts but at about 1% that of non-galvanized. If a chip or ding creates a break in the zincs ssurface rusting happens faster. Auto saver lists the names & locations of satisfied customers and I called 4 and actually spoke to 2. One was the retired head of maintenance for the DOD on Guam in charge of all Naval maintenance, and a diver. Said he & a buddy, also a diver, bought identical jeeps in the early '90's, his friend had Auto Saver and he had "Rusty Jones" or similar. After 8 years his looked like swiss cheese. His friends had no rust, not even where dings had chipped away the paint. I believed him and for $100 bucks plus labor I figured what the hell, I've spent more and gotten no results.

You have a good one

Bob G.

Old 07-07-2003, 11:26 AM
Senior Chief

I got one of those portable shelters from Costco.
it works great but you gota nail that sucker to the ground to keep it from blowing away.

The 2nd thing I did was get a Dri-Z-Air for the inside to control moisture.

I live in the NW near Saltwater so I think we face the same problems

GURU: One who knows more jargon than you

Scott Schering
70 Firebird 455 12.34 @ 108.2
Http://www.pontiacs.org

Scott Schering
Http://www.pontiacs.org