Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-21-2004, 04:48 PM
Senior Chief

Bought an electric choke, vaccumm secondaries, 600 cfm holley carb for my 65 catalina. I have never used an electric choke carb before and want to know what wires get connected to this. From what I have been told one comes from ground and the other from the ignition switch but from what wire? Also once I have it connected how will I know if it is getting power to the choke. Any help is appreciated.

Will

Old 03-21-2004, 04:48 PM
Senior Chief

Bought an electric choke, vaccumm secondaries, 600 cfm holley carb for my 65 catalina. I have never used an electric choke carb before and want to know what wires get connected to this. From what I have been told one comes from ground and the other from the ignition switch but from what wire? Also once I have it connected how will I know if it is getting power to the choke. Any help is appreciated.

Will

Old 03-21-2004, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can run a wire from the positive side of the coil but I prefer to use a connection from the fuse panel that is live only when the key is in the ignition on position. You dont want it live in accessory or off. If you use the coil connection you run the risk of lowering the voltage to the coil. The ground wire you can attach to the carb mounting stud/bolt.

Old 03-21-2004, 07:27 PM
Senior Chief

If you really want to get fancy you can wire it like GM did through the oil sending unit so that the choke coil does not warm up unless the engine is running (in case of a stall).

Carl

Old 03-22-2004, 07:19 AM
Senior Chief

thanks I'll try that.