Old 05-18-2004, 09:37 PM

Has anyone installed one of the Old Air Products "Hurricane" integrated AC/Heat units?
I have a non-AC 65 GTO and was planning to install one of those new design integrated GEN II units by a Vintage Air. I found info from Old Air Products that describes their Hurricane units and think their system might be better and easier. Their catalog mentions their customers installed them in 64-72 GTOs. Their system has most items; evaporator, fan, heat coils etc. located in a compact unit located inside the engine compartment instead of the dash area. About the only items in the dash area is the air distribution plenum.
I'm swaying my opinion toward the Hurricane system since I'm not concerned about "original look". I've heard a lot of good things in these forums regarding the Vintage Air Gen II unit, but want to know if there is anybody out there that has had success with the Hurricane System.
Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

Old 05-18-2004, 09:37 PM

Has anyone installed one of the Old Air Products "Hurricane" integrated AC/Heat units?
I have a non-AC 65 GTO and was planning to install one of those new design integrated GEN II units by a Vintage Air. I found info from Old Air Products that describes their Hurricane units and think their system might be better and easier. Their catalog mentions their customers installed them in 64-72 GTOs. Their system has most items; evaporator, fan, heat coils etc. located in a compact unit located inside the engine compartment instead of the dash area. About the only items in the dash area is the air distribution plenum.
I'm swaying my opinion toward the Hurricane system since I'm not concerned about "original look". I've heard a lot of good things in these forums regarding the Vintage Air Gen II unit, but want to know if there is anybody out there that has had success with the Hurricane System.
Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

Old 05-18-2004, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Henry, I've never heard of Hurricane. Do they have a web site? I've only used the vintage air systems on my F-bodies, but they do work well. The VA system doesn't take up much more space then the heater box did. On the F-body unit you do loose a little bit of glove box space though. It would be nice if the hurricane was in a "suitcase" like the factory units so it would appear at least halfway stock.

Old 05-19-2004, 04:38 AM

Yes, they have a website: www.oldairproducts.com. You can download their entire catalog if you have something better than dialup. It took a couple of minutes at DSL speed. They also have replacement parts for conventional systems. The firewall "box" visible in the engine compartment does not look stock, but I'm not particular about keeping to the 65 design. The stock stuff at the firewall is monsterous compared to the Hurricane System.