WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 08-12-2004, 05:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr_GTO:
If he doesn't follow the new car market, how does he know about ricer honda's?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because he sees them on the road everywhere as do you and I. Just because someone dosen't care about new cars dosen't mean he is blind while driving around town. If its this late in the game with the GTO and he hasn't seen a new one yet maybe that tells you what a great job Pontiac did marketing this car.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bonneville Joe:

Because he sees them on the road everywhere as do you and I. Just because someone dosen't care about new cars dosen't mean he is blind while driving around town. If its this late in the game with the GTO and he hasn't seen a new one yet maybe that tells you what a great job Pontiac did marketing this car. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Because he see's it on the road he automatically knows what it is? LOL. Yea right.

GTO has been on sale nationally for 7 full months. That's it. And it is the first year for GM actually getting cars in from overseas. Not to mention dealers who won't let people drive them and have limited allocation.

GTO sales went up for 2 years straight in the 60's, I predict the same in the coming years.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll put my 0.02 worth in. The 64 GTO was not much to look at,why the 65s command a better resale. Rumor has it a scoop as well as increased HP. So maybe that wil increase them a little. As was mentioned the dealers only have a few allotted. Camaros and Firebirds they had many to choose from.

I made the switch to Pontiac from Chevrolet in 78 when alot of city dealers were selling Trans Ams at sticker and not budging, Smokey and the Badit time. Needless to say I found a different dealer(GAY Pontiac!) that would deal even on TAs.

In mid 80s and I was in my late 20s when I was at a Chevy dealer with my brother in law looking at trucks had a salesman lock a Corvette after I sat in it checking out the new models(my partner had one two years old)! So alot of salesman don't have a clue on selling, client needs or how to treat them. I have yet to have one know the specs of any vehicle I've looked at as well as I did! Unfortunately that is how many do get sold.
I have seen three on the road and a few more at a nearby dealer. They have been advertised at $29,000.

The 2005 with the extra hp may be something I look at.
1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 08-12-2004, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Skip, it will have scoops, LS2/400hp, exhaust on both sides etc.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr_GTO:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bonneville Joe:

Because he sees them on the road everywhere as do you and I. Just because someone dosen't care about new cars dosen't mean he is blind while driving around town. If its this late in the game with the GTO and he hasn't seen a new one yet maybe that tells you what a great job Pontiac did marketing this car. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Because he see's it on the road he automatically knows what it is? LOL. Yea right.

GTO has been on sale nationally for 7 full months. That's it. And it is the first year for GM actually getting cars in from overseas. Not to mention dealers who won't let people drive them and have limited allocation.

GTO sales went up for 2 years straight in the 60's, I predict the same in the coming years. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 2005 Chrysler 300 has also been on sale for the past 7 months and they are everywhere too. Granted they are not a sportscar but they are a v-8 RWD car with good performance and awesome styling and people are buying them, not to mention I see TV commercials all the time for them.

And yes when you are driving down the road and see a Honda Civic that says V-Tec obviously you are going to know what it is....
Old 08-14-2004, 08:00 PM

I'm new to the Board and have seen somethings I agree with abd disagree with. First, I can't believe Dealers are telling people they can't test drive the car. I currently own a CTS and got to Drive the new GTO for 2 days and suddenly find myself negotiating to get into the AWESOME new UPDATED Muscle car. I also own a Boxster and find this car as fun to drive as my Boxster. Acceleration is Amazing, interior more then comfortable. If your looking for a Family car then this isn;t it. My Wife's Envoy is for that. GTO, Monaro??? Who really cares. Its a hair raising rocket ride you must drive to appriciate.

My dealer puts the Corsa exhast, Duel Scoop hoop and 18" low profile tires. The care looks like a trueGTO with the hood. and Drives like what one poster called a Coupe Vette. Either way you look at it the car is without question a true muscle car. IF you haven't driven it? don't question it. It they won't let you drive it... tell then you'll bring your business elsewhere. The car Rocks! Try one
Old 08-15-2004, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Should have styled the car more like the 66 & 67 GTO. 66 tail lights for sure. Headlamps from the 66 & 67. One on top of the other, a sail panel?? Something to bring the old with the new. A judge option??? Ram air engine? Anything!!
Old 08-16-2004, 05:52 PM
Senior Chief

I stopped and looked at black on red 6speed today, our local dealer still had a markup on it! Told me theyre hard to get, sellin like hotcakes, limited production, yada yada, $37000. Unfortunately, I cant get the wife even a little interested in one (she was with me, and we were shopping for her), so I didnt get a chance to see if theyd come off the price. But, with a new hood, 18s, a reworked exhaust, and a red pinstripe, I think I could enjoy one.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You have got to be kidding me, Augusst 16th and still a mark up. Well you just surpased our dealerships for the worst of all time.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:25 PM

Our dealership here just got one.They said it is the first they have gotten and have two more on the way.Looks like it's been setting in the same place for the week it's been there.I'm going to try and drive it this week but I don't think I would buy it if the 05 is 400 horse. As far as dealer test drives,I think with most people if they are really going to buy they don't need to test drive.Atleast this is a new car with a warrenty,look how many people buy old cars off ebay sight unseen.I never drove my cobra when I bought it.Even told the dealer not to worry about getting the keys.We did the paperwork and I went to work and when they had it clean, he drove it to where I work and gave me the keys.My inlaws haven't test driven any of his vettes before he buys them along with many people I talked to at work that buy without test driving.I still can't believe a dealer would tell somebody no if they were really interested though.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5462

My experience this past weekend.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cavalier?

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yea, my '03 Cavalier. Gets 33mpg, XM Radio, Sunroof and a fairly peppy 2.2L Ecotec motor. I have had Zero problems with it, still nice and quiet despite the Boston roads.

Decent car for $10K. Sticker was $16K or so, I got it at invoice which was around $14K and it had a $4000 or $4500 rebate. Just my dailer driver. In 13 months I have put 27K miles on it.

Did you know the Ecotec's are the quickest power plant GM has out from a stock based car?
FWD ones that run with the imports are running in the mid 7's now with 50% stock parts. Pretty amazing if you ask me.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yeah...

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:15 PM

I posted a message earlier in this thread about how both I and one of my employees were refused test drives several weeks ago. In particular I complained that as males in our 30's driving up in Pontiac's stated competition (he in a 2000 BMW 328i 5-speed coupe, and I in a 97 BMW 328i 5-speed sedan), I felt this was nuts as we were poster children for the supposed target demographic for this car. Well, times have changed (for one of us anyway), as he got to drive not only a 6-speed GTO, but a Cadillac CTS-V (400HP Caddy) this past weekend. In both cases, the salesperson offered the test drives without even being asked. Now here's the really bad news as far as I'm concerned. He actually doesn't mind the styling of the GTO, and in fact thinks it looks fine. He also thought the power was great, and the interiro very nice. It was the drive that he felt was subpar. As many of you know, BMW's claim to fame is how their cars drive. The way they magically combine great handling, and road feel with a good ride is amazing - I used to think it was hype until I bought one and am still surprised by it. According to him (don't kill the messenger here guys), the car just didn't communicate the road like the BMW, except when encountering potholes, etc. which arrived with a big impact.
As a point of comparison, he thought the Caddy drove great (which most of the car mags agree with as Caddilac spent a lot of time in Germany on the Nuburgring tuning the heck out of this thing), had the same great power, but had a horrible interior (it does) and was way overpriced at almost $50K. A winning combo, according to him, would be the CTS drive/handling combined with everything else about the GTO (OK, he didn't like the balky shifter either).