Old 12-11-2004, 03:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

On Monday I will be receiving my new windshield for the '67 GP. I have never installed a windshield before, nor the trim that goes around it. Has anyone done this on one of these beasts, or is there a web site anywhere that shows this step-by-step?

I still have to pull the SS trim from the pillers, polish it and reinstall it correctly, but I am hoping to get the new glass in right after the new year.

Thanks,
-harry

Old 12-11-2004, 03:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

On Monday I will be receiving my new windshield for the '67 GP. I have never installed a windshield before, nor the trim that goes around it. Has anyone done this on one of these beasts, or is there a web site anywhere that shows this step-by-step?

I still have to pull the SS trim from the pillers, polish it and reinstall it correctly, but I am hoping to get the new glass in right after the new year.

Thanks,
-harry

Old 12-11-2004, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After you get the old WS out clean out ALL the old sealer and paint any bare metal. Check to make sure that all the clips are good and the pins they are mounted to are not broken. If you have broken pins those clips will have to be screwed on. Also check for any body rot and repair as necessary. Go to an auto glass company or large parts store and get butyl tape sealant and it's primer. App;y primer to body and let dry then apply butyl tape. There should be small rubber spacer blocks to space the bottom of the glass up from the bottom. If you cant find them space the glass by eye. Have someone help you put the glass in place. A couple of big suction cups help. Check for proper placement and if OK press into place. Last of all, Apply a bead of sealer around edge of glass and install mouldings.

Old 12-11-2004, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Coach:

Thanks,
-harry <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
As I recall, my brother's '67 GP ragtop's interior pillar and windshield header trim was chromed steel. All three pieces had some slight rusting, but a little 000 steel wool brought them back. The windshield header top piece and exterior reveal moldings were ss and polished and buffed out nicely.

Old 12-11-2004, 10:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Bob,

Thanks, the body has been stripped, repaired, and repainted so I am good there. The old windshield is long gone and the trim was in the trunk when I got the car. The clips and pins are what I am not sure of, can I get new clips from Ames or another supplier?

gtoric,

The outer reveal pieces are what I meant. They look like they will buff out quite nicely once I get them off the car. The previous owner did a so-so job installing them and I need to pull them, polish them, and then set them correctly.

Thanks for the input,
Harry

Old 12-12-2004, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I havent bought any in a while but you used to be able to get them from an auto body supply store. You will need at least one for a sample though.

Old 12-12-2004, 01:14 PM

Harry I got the clips from Napa. My store I go to has a big book full of different clips for the cars. You do need one old one and then match it up. They come with so many in a bag, so have the number you need and order how many bags you need to cover the amount you need. It is a pretty easy job but you do need two people.
Hope this helps Pat

Old 12-12-2004, 02:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ok guys,

Where should these pins you speak of be? I looked all around the frame and don't see anything like that. Any chance anyone has a pic?

Thanks,
=harry

Old 12-12-2004, 02:57 PM
Suspended

If you leave out the rubber spacer blocks at the bottom the glass will eventually slide down and leak.

Old 12-12-2004, 05:11 PM

The wind shield will sit in the opening and the pins will be on the side of the pillers right across from it. Pat

Old 12-13-2004, 12:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here are a couple of pics of the windshield frame ( excuse the mess ), where should the pins be?

Thanks, -harry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windframe1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	19595  

Old 12-13-2004, 12:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

And the top
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windframe.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	21727  

Old 12-14-2004, 04:06 PM

Harry. I looked in my body manual, is there any type of clip on this chrome moldings? Can not tell by the pictures. They state the clips we were talking about or that they will snap onto the other chrome piece. Sorry forgot you had a Convertable. Pat