The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 06-29-2003, 08:33 PM

This is my 1st post so bear with me guys.I'm getting ready to pull my 69 GTO conv body off the frame and was wondering , is it better to leave the doors on it or pull the doors and weld in braces to keep the body straight.This is my first attempt at this and I don't want to mess it up .Thanks for you're help.

Joel Metters

Old 06-29-2003, 08:33 PM

This is my 1st post so bear with me guys.I'm getting ready to pull my 69 GTO conv body off the frame and was wondering , is it better to leave the doors on it or pull the doors and weld in braces to keep the body straight.This is my first attempt at this and I don't want to mess it up .Thanks for you're help.

Joel Metters

Old 06-29-2003, 08:48 PM

Joel,
I am in the process of doing this to my 66 hardtop. We lifted the body off without the doors and decklid bolted in. It sat on stands for a month till it got sandblasted. Now it is sitting on jackstands in the shop. We put the doors back on to check and see if we screwed up... and the doors fit perfect. Decklid fit perfect too. We welded in a complete trunk floor, braces, and lower rear 1/4's. SO, I don't think you will have a problem. But this is my experience, and my .02 worth.
Josh

Impossible is only temporary
Old 06-30-2003, 09:11 AM

I would be carefull because its a conv. Maybe make a brace from the upper hinge to the striker or maybe rear seatbelt holes , esp if are gonna due any body work while its of the car.

I have been planning on how to due my 67 conv firebird this summer. Need to change floor pans, rockers and quarters. I am pretty sure if I take all this off without a jig it will collapse on itself

Old 06-30-2003, 10:37 AM
Senior Chief

I'd build a pair of triangle braces..

Bolt to the 2 hinge mounts and the striker plate.

GURU: One who knows more jargon than you

Scott Schering
70 Firebird 455 12.34 @ 108.2
Http://www.pontiacs.org

Scott Schering
Http://www.pontiacs.org
Old 07-01-2003, 06:19 PM

Thanks for the help guys. Scott I seen a picture of exactly what you're talking about in one of those how to restore books . That's kinda why I asked the question. I already have the doors off, I've got the bracing material and a welder , now I guess I just need to get to work . Thanks again.

Joel Metters

Old 07-02-2003, 02:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Leave the doors on . The body can bend on you . Especially if it's not on the frame and you start cutting it apart to replace panels .

Man is not complete until he's married , then he is finished !

Old 07-07-2003, 07:49 AM

I currently have off frame a 66 cat-vert.

I would NOT pull body off without one or the other on that body,(doors,braces.)One last suggestion...leave the top up.

BTW, remember the body can bend BOTH ways, watch for the flex while raising.

I've been frame off since last Sept...and now about 2 weeks away from going back on !!!!!
Hurray for me

Old 07-08-2003, 07:40 PM

I still have the top up right now. What about side to side bracing. I've seen pics in mags that show the door braces and also a side to side brace that was welded to the door braces and was also bolted to the floor where the seats bolt to.Is this a little overkill or a preety good idea.

Joel Metters

Old 07-09-2003, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think it depends on how much of the body is weakened from rust, & how much you plan to cut & weld. Extra bracing is not overkill, iof you have the time & materials. After doing exactly this with my 68 convertible, let me make one recomendation. Be sure to make the bracing inside the car, & not in the jambs. I found it very nice to be able to test fit my doors, while the body was still off the frame & being worked on. I made a brace from the upper rear quarter glass area, to the upper hinge locations. I later changed it to the inside of the windsheild piller. Its doubled steel in the center, & I just tapped a 3/8" hole in each side. Worked great.

Here is a picture of my braces

This picture might help.

68ragtop

1968 GTO Convertible (currently my resto project)
1978 Gold Edition Trans am
1979 10th aniversary T/A
1980 Pace Car Trans am

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 07-12-2003, 08:31 PM

Thanks ragtop that helps alot. Great idea putting them inside. I was planning on replacing the floor under the drivers feet and a spot right behind the pass front seat. The rest of the floor is in really good shape.This is going to be a driver so I'm not worried about concourse perfection,but I do want to do it right so if you got some more great ideas I'm all ears

Joel Metters

Old 07-15-2003, 08:36 AM

If you are cutting the floors out I would recommend that you should use some additional temporary braces. If you are doing the lifting by hand you will want to have the doors off.

When I did mine I used oak 4X4s just behind the cowl and near the rear wheel well opening and didn't brace anything up. I had the doors, deck lid, and top off.

Good luck.