Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 10-26-2003, 07:52 AM

Hey Will, Nice looking port work on the 061's! I don't have a digital camera yet, so can't show my work, but looks VERY close to what I have hogged out of my 061's, but I think I went a little wider on the short turn, port opening (bronze sleeves in pushrod and common head bolt hole). I'm ponchobob on KRE's message board, I belive I answered a "061" post of yours there. My head did not seem to go into turbulnece past .550" lift (no puffing or "putt putt" sound or drop in flow, tested at true 28") but did go pretty much flat after that with only a slight upward curve. May improve with a 45 seat and finish work on port, BUT I know i'm awful damn close to water already!-Bob.

Old 10-26-2003, 08:27 AM

My mistake Will, it was "ChiefbigB" asking on KRE's board on the 061's, he saw 272cfm @ 28",.550" on a set of #48's, but went into turbulence after that. I got 282cfm@28", .550", jury rigged 3" flow-quik with 2 6hp shop vacs pulling off an old 455" bare block for a bore adapter, calibrated by known figures on a E-head tested on a SF600. I think the high port floor on the 061's help stave off turbulence compared to other D-ports. Again, nice lookin' work Will!-Bob.

Old 10-26-2003, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Be neat to have a port volume (cc)testing/recording session right beside the flow bench. Might get a little messy.

-Rob

Old 10-27-2003, 03:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Bob, but I can't really take much credit for the port work on those heads. They were initially worked over by Dave Bisschop at SD Performance. The flow sheets that I got from him showed an average of 273 cfm @ .550" lift @ 28". They were not tested above that lift point but the flow was already leveling off. I believe that's the biggest problem with the D-ports is that they just don't increase flow much beyond .500" lift. From what I've read, the short turn is the key to keeping them out of turbulence.

What I did do after I ran them awhile is go back in and remove the big-ass EGR bump in the exhaust (Dave left that there and still got close to 190 cfm on the exhaust side), round off the shoulder next to the exhaust guide, remove the eyebrows in the chamber adjacent to the intake valve and do some very minor touching up on the intake short turns, just to make everything as smooth and perfect as it could be. I also added dimples to the chambers and piston tops though I later learned that my positioning of the dimples in the chambers wasn't optimum. Since the engine's coming back apart again this winter I may go back in and add even more on the chamber wall adjacent to the intake valve if there's evidence of fuel wash.

----------------------------
'72 Formula 400 Lucerne Blue, Blue Deluxe interior - My first car!
'73 Firebird 400/4-speed Black on Black, mix & match.

Old 10-29-2003, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a set of #16 heads that were ported originally by Pete MacCarthy several years ago. They also were at JBP for some work, I am not sure what Butler did to them. I bought the heads from Bill Takanabe as he was running them on his 65 GTO Ultimate Warrior before he went with E-Heads and the IA block. Dave Bischop flowed these heads for me on his SF-600 bench when he was operating in California at pete's place. He flowed every port and the flow from port to port was within 1 or 2%. The average intake flow was 287@28" water. The average exhaust was 188. At this time the heads had Manely 2.19 intake valves and factory RA IV exhaust valves. I left the Manley's in and installed Ferrea 1.77 exhaust valves. I had a local very compenant guy do a fresh valve job for me. I don't know if the flow went up or not with the new valve job and exhaust valves. I have been running these heads in my 65 LeMans with a solid flat tappet cam.

Tim C

65 LeMans, 3500lb. D-ports and a flat tappet cam, 10.92@120

Old 10-29-2003, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

JoeIE, I could tell you... but I do not like to fight on the net. but you could call Larry at Brandwine Cly Heads in West Chester PA. TTFN XOXO!! miss ya JoeIE!!!

Old 10-29-2003, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One more thing I forgot about them #16's. Intake flow dropped off after .550 lift, and exhaust flow dropped off after .600 lift.

Tim C

65 LeMans, 3500lb. D-ports and a flat tappet cam, 10.92@120

Old 10-29-2003, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> One more thing I forgot about them #16's. Intake flow dropped off after .550 lift <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had the same result with #16's, 277cfm @.550",then 269cfm @ .600"

1973 SD455 T/A
1979 S.E. T/A
http://community.webshots.com/album/16587603rOyvmFCiHs