The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-09-2003, 01:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The ObamaNation we once called the United States of America

I was thinking about removing the sub frame from my Firebird to sand blast it,paint it and rebuild the front suspension.
The question I have is when I put it back in how do I know its positioned right.I want everything to line up properly.....dont want problems when I re-install body panels.
Thanks,Colin

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserves neither and will loose both."-Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-09-2003, 01:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The ObamaNation we once called the United States of America

I was thinking about removing the sub frame from my Firebird to sand blast it,paint it and rebuild the front suspension.
The question I have is when I put it back in how do I know its positioned right.I want everything to line up properly.....dont want problems when I re-install body panels.
Thanks,Colin

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserves neither and will loose both."-Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-09-2003, 02:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There is only 4 bolts that bolt it to the underside of the vehicle . You really can't miss align it . However you can X measure the front frame horns with your firewall to correctlly square off the front end .

Man is not complete until he's married , then he is finished !

Old 07-09-2003, 04:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Also on the Driver side of the sub frame there is an alignment hole approx 5/8" in dia outboard on the ear next to the mount. Put a large screwdriver or large bolt into this hole from the bottom and into the hole in the body, these 2 holes must be in line with each other then you can torque down the mount bolts. I made my own alignment tool for this, i went to a hardware store Home Depot etc and picked up some threaded rod, can't remember i think it is 5/8" dia. I then cut 6" or 8" lenght off the rod and used this to line up the lower and upper hole on the driver side. With the driver side holes lined up then just install the bolt on the pass side. Now the subframe should be Dead Nuts On with the body.

Robert Williams

Old 07-09-2003, 08:39 PM
Senior Chief

Hey Colin,
Check out my website in my signature below. I'm actually going through exactly the same thing now with my '81 T/A. I'm not ready to reinstall the subframe yet, but I do know it's possible to get it slightly out of line. The bolt holes do have some play in them. I didn't know about the alignment hole trick previously posted (thanks!). I had just planned on measuring it from the edge of the underbody on each side and pulling a string to align it with the rear subframe. If it isn't straight, the fenders can be a b**ch to get lined up straight and if it isn't aligned with the rear subframe, it can "dogtrack" when driving which a front end alignment can usually correct.
Good luck!
Drag

http://webpages.charter.net/dragula7

www.dixiemusclecars.com
The Southeast's only online Community dedicated to the American Muscle Car!

2006 PBM GTO LS2
1995 Arctic White Trans Am LT1
1981 Trans Am Daytona Pace Car
1969 Gold Poly Firebird w/400
Old 07-09-2003, 08:51 PM
Senior Chief

Oh yea Colin,
I thought I would save you some hassle on sandblasting your subframe with a good tip; PRESSURE WASH IT FIRST!!! Sandblasting the PAINT off was a BREEZE!!! All the sand had to do was skim across it and the paint was gone!! BUT, I can't say the same for any grime or grease residue. I had to hold the sandblaster on those areas for a while and SLOWLY move it around to remove it.
I DID pressure wash mine first but I missed a couple of small areas. If I hadn't pressure washed it first, it would have EASILY taken me 4 or 5 times longer to blast and probably 5 times the amount of sand.
I have a pressure washer at my house, but if you don't have one you should take the time and hassle to throw the frame in the back of a pickup and take it to your local carwash to use their pressure washer. TRUST ME, it WILL be worth the hassle.
Good luck again!
Drag

http://webpages.charter.net/dragula7

www.dixiemusclecars.com
The Southeast's only online Community dedicated to the American Muscle Car!

2006 PBM GTO LS2
1995 Arctic White Trans Am LT1
1981 Trans Am Daytona Pace Car
1969 Gold Poly Firebird w/400
Old 07-10-2003, 09:11 AM
Senior Chief

Somewhere at home I have the 81 Fisher Body manual.. I beleve it shows the alignment holes and correct alignment measurements..

I'll try and fid it tonight.

I thought there were 4 or 6 alignment holes..
4 in the sub and 2 more back by the leaf spring mounts

On my 70 we got the sub under the car and bolted up with a little play then ran it up on the lift.
We then adjusted the frame using a big drift through the holes.

For the 73 I may try and weld up a jig to drop the body and frame on. Really just a big square frame with alignment pins the frame and body will drop onto.

GURU: One who knows more jargon than you

Scott Schering
70 Firebird 455 12.34 @ 108.2
Http://www.pontiacs.org

Scott Schering
Http://www.pontiacs.org
Old 07-13-2003, 10:56 AM

If your car has been in any type of front end accident, don't use the holes for line ups. Do what one member said, measure from the radiator support hole to the firewall. the front frame-to-body mounting positions are prone to getting pushed by a little during accidents and you won't notice them being bent from just eyeballing them.

Old 08-20-2003, 06:59 AM
Senior Chief

Look in the Firebird Supplement to the 67 Pontiac service manual. You can get a reprintof this from Helm at 1 800 782 4356.

I scanned the pages for you.

---------------------------
1967 Firebird 400 conv, 1989 Formula 350
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sub1.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	20069  

Old 08-20-2003, 07:04 AM
Senior Chief

next page