The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 05-30-2004, 06:49 AM

I had a deep "keyed scratch" on one door which I decided to try to repair myself (figuring I can always take it to a pro if I don't get it done). So after sanding it smooth and spray painting it with a areosol touch up paint, I need to get it polished, to take away the overspray and get a uniform shine. Should I first use 1200 - 1500 paper (by hand, or orbital sander?) and then compound and polish, or should a clear coat go on first? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-30-2004, 06:49 AM

I had a deep "keyed scratch" on one door which I decided to try to repair myself (figuring I can always take it to a pro if I don't get it done). So after sanding it smooth and spray painting it with a areosol touch up paint, I need to get it polished, to take away the overspray and get a uniform shine. Should I first use 1200 - 1500 paper (by hand, or orbital sander?) and then compound and polish, or should a clear coat go on first? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-30-2004, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

you really are taking on a lot whether you know it or not. What type of paint is on the car? It makes a difference. What car is it? Where is the repair? Is it metallic paint? Do you have a rotary buffer? ( not orbital) Ever do any paint work before?

Old 05-30-2004, 09:59 AM

Its a 67 GTO, with dark blue metallic paint, not original, about 4 or 5 years old. The repair is on the passenger side door. Yes, I should have mentioned that I do have a rotary buffer, which I figured to use to do final polishing. I've only done minor paint repairs before, and yes I realize this is probably a tall order for a novice. And if I screw it up, then I'll just cave in and take it to a pro (which is probably at least a 75-25 shot at anyway) But then, I've done lots of other stuff, including all new interior, new dash instruments, new dash and console finish with carbon fiber, installation of a kick ass stereo etc. etc. too,......always first time for everything, right?

Old 05-30-2004, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

well metallic is much tougher to do, unless it is a BC/CC paint job? Is it?

Old 05-30-2004, 05:04 PM

Hmmm......uh, you need to check with me in about another million years and I'll let ya know if its a "BC/CC" paint job. Mebbe then I'll know what that means!

Old 05-30-2004, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

BC/CC=Base Coat/Clear Coat. Good luck!

Old 06-02-2004, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

well here is the thing. If you are going to attempt this repair, you NEED to know what type of paint is on it. SS paint is much harder to repair, wheras BC/CC is easier. It makes a difference in what materials you buy and how you do the repair. Bottom line.