Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-17-2005, 09:50 AM
Senior Chief

Leaks from the speedo cable drive fitting. I pulled it out and will replace the o ring, but I dont see any seal for the drive gear that passes thru the drive fitting. On a T400 I know there is a small seal for the drive gear but dont see one on this 350. Should there be one?

Old 07-17-2005, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah theres one there,it might just be hiding behind some "crud".

Can be hard to see some times,there is also a small clip to hold it in.

Pull the gear from the housing,and look deep in the outer recess(on the cable side),it should be there.

Small orange seal.

If its not there,would explain the leak...

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 07-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Senior Chief

Screamingchief,
Thanks for the response, but I think you are talking about a T400. Im very familiar with the 400 and they are exactly as you describe. Actually I looked at one I have sitting on the floor and yes a little orange seal and a round wire retaining ring. But this 350 is different. I have attached pictures and you can see where it looks like a seal would sit in the drive fitting but then the drive gerar does not come far enough out that it would contact the seal. The drive fitting and gear are actually fron the orig. powerglide since i have converted to the 350. But they are supposed to be the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0300.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	7029  

Old 07-17-2005, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There are at least 3 different seal set-ups for the speedometer gear. Some have a small "O" ring inside, others a lip type seal molded to a metal shell and the one already mentioned. When I get out to the shop I'll look thru spare parts and see if I have one as in the picture, and possible the correct seal for it?.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 07-17-2005, 11:00 AM
Senior Chief

Greatly appreciated, Cliff

Old 07-17-2005, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

By the look of what I see, you need the metal clad inner seal that the Aluminum Powerglide uses.

Old 07-18-2005, 06:02 PM
Senior Chief

Went to local trans expert. The drive I had actually used no seal around the speedo gear.
Seems when new they fit pretty tight and would just weep a little. Later GM decided to use a seal as described by others. So he sold me a new drive that uses the metal clad type seal for the whopping sum of $5. Im good to go, Thanks.

Old 07-18-2005, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ahh now I see,had one like that i pulled off a core trans for about 2 seconds before it went in the trash.

Ugh,me no like... Me $#!*can this POS!

I prefer either of the other choices,with a slight edge going to the metal clad seal.

Glad it worked out for ya'.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 07-19-2005, 11:57 AM

I had a similar issue, I could not seem fix it until I changed the housing. I stumbled into the housing being the issue when I needed to put in a bigger speedo gear to calibrate the speedometer after a gear swap.