The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 01-18-2002, 08:50 PM

I need some ideas on how to repair the lower rear panel(below bumper) on my 71 T/A. At first inspection the panel was solid, not rusting away. New NOS rear quarters were installed and went on great (took lots of pics). As we stripped the rear panel, there were lots of bondo and drilled holes were it was hit before and pulled out with a slide hammmer. Luckily, when it was hit it was low enough not to push in the bumper mounts. It has been hit numerous times, damage is not isolated at one spot. The middle looks like someone put a chain on it to pull it back. I know these panels are hard to find(and expensive) and the new quarters have already been installed. The body shop was thinking of just overlaying a long piece of metal to smooth the contour. This rear panel is real wavy. Any ideas would be helpful and appreciated. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Old 01-18-2002, 08:50 PM

I need some ideas on how to repair the lower rear panel(below bumper) on my 71 T/A. At first inspection the panel was solid, not rusting away. New NOS rear quarters were installed and went on great (took lots of pics). As we stripped the rear panel, there were lots of bondo and drilled holes were it was hit before and pulled out with a slide hammmer. Luckily, when it was hit it was low enough not to push in the bumper mounts. It has been hit numerous times, damage is not isolated at one spot. The middle looks like someone put a chain on it to pull it back. I know these panels are hard to find(and expensive) and the new quarters have already been installed. The body shop was thinking of just overlaying a long piece of metal to smooth the contour. This rear panel is real wavy. Any ideas would be helpful and appreciated. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]