Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 05-30-2003, 05:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to PMD428

Was thinking of getting one for my 67 GTO, but have heard a few people say they sound tinny. So if you have one installed how do you like it, or not like it?

Nothing cuts like a Bridgeport. Still made in the USA!

Old 05-30-2003, 05:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to PMD428

Was thinking of getting one for my 67 GTO, but have heard a few people say they sound tinny. So if you have one installed how do you like it, or not like it?

Nothing cuts like a Bridgeport. Still made in the USA!

Old 05-30-2003, 06:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I hate the way they sound.

Foolproof and Sucka free since 1979.

Old 05-30-2003, 06:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I love the way it sounds! It seems to "smooth" out the engine sound. It is slighty quieter at all RPM's above 2000.

Buy a GOAT....they eat anything!

Old 05-30-2003, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You could always follow this link, order the CD "Silent Power" and tell us which exhaust you like the sound of...

SILENT POWER CD

The CD has just about 1 set of every muffler recorded on a 455 with a Ram air IV cam. Each set of tracks has a specific muffler in X-pipe and non-X pipe configuration. You can definately hear the difference.

I like the X-pipe sound, it gives a quiet angry sound to the exhaust. Very unique, but nice

Long Branch Manifolds
TH350
3.23 open BP axle
PS, PDB and Deluxe interior

GPE Starter ... Small body HEI ... 2.5" Pypes w/X-pipe ... Ruggles Qjet

14.1 @ 99.1
Old 05-30-2003, 03:23 PM
Exhaust Guru

PMD, they do not sound tinny and in 75% of our tests, they lowered the sound level and they lower the perceived sound level. They also pick up power and tend to lower ETs. They lower the backpressure the engine sees. They allow you to run restrictive mufflers with less impact. They allow you to run smaller tailpipes with less affect. They let you run louder mufflers and it will tone them down. I would never install a street or race exhaust system without one. They are one of the few things I have ever seen or used that offered all the things the manufacturer promised they would do.
And, I have seen many tests and performed many myself to verify all of these facts. Additionally, I have heard exact systems with and without them on the CD and I think the X definitely helps make the Pontiac sound nice.
Tom Hand

Tom Hand

Old 05-30-2003, 04:58 PM
Senior Chief

I don't know how much it improved my perf.,but I love the way the x killed the garbling and popping,especially when I let up on the gas.(which isn't often )Now you can clearly tell the T/A means business,without sounding overly obnoxious!Al

It ain't no feakin' camaro!

Old 05-30-2003, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom Hand spent quite a bit of time making the Silent Power CD so that guys like us could hear what different mufflers sound like both with and without an X pipe. It's an excellent resource for guys like me who worry about the perfect exhaust note and what other mufflers may sound like.

In my own case, I was very worried about an X pipe ruining the sound I love and I can only tell you that the now with the X, I like the sound even more. Instead of the Flowmaster cackle under hard acceleration, I now have a smooth, tuned roar in the upper rpm ranges. The X mellows the exhaust note at idle but it does not change the pitch nor the cam sound.

We installed a 2.5" X on my dad's '72 HO car last year and we noticed an immediate increase in low, mid and upper rpm power. Better throttle response and more torque were the biggest gains. Exhaust lost the cackle and gained the tuned roar. We also picked up about an additional 1" of idle vacuum. That alone shows an increase in scavanging.

I just received my July 2003 issue of Hot Rod magazine and inside is a feature article about Dave Dudek's '70 Challenger RT. It runs in the stock appearing drags and has ran a best of 11.58@122 mph on redline tires! His Hemi is pumping out an estimated 575 hp and on his car, a 2.5" Dr. Gas X-crossover was worth an AVERAGE of 12.5 hp and 12.8 lb/ft between 3000 and 6000 rpm.
Consider, NASCAR uses them on their 750 hp mills and they don't just add them for the weight.

I think it was a wise move on both of our cars to install X-pipes from both sound and performance standpoints.

Old 05-30-2003, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Blah blah blah, loud is good.

Foolproof and Sucka free since 1979.

Old 05-30-2003, 08:27 PM

I like my 3" system. Nice sound at idle and quieter at freeway speeds. No downside with the current 400 HO setup in my car.
In a few weeks, I'll be able to see how it sounds/performs behind a fairly stout street 462 with headers.

Old 05-30-2003, 09:44 PM

I installed a 3" Hedman X with Ultraflows and Torque Tech. pipes on my 78 T/A. Until today, I only had a chance to hear it in the car or in the driveway with my wife hitting the throttle I loved it. Today I had a buddy do a drive by for me and it was sweet! Its cool hearing your car from a pedestrian's standpoint. Now I know why the neighbors give me looks! The car has a definite "tuned" sound to it. I am totally happy with the system even though PY now sells them for quite a bit less than I paid :mad

Old 05-31-2003, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Skype™ to RPM

Likes: sound, the "wow factor" when your car flips over in a traffic accident

Dislikes: cost, installation time

67 GTO, 428, Q-Jet, TH400, 3.42, 12.50/107.5, whisper quiet
67 GTO, 400, Q-Jet, M20, 3.23, 14.02/98.7, loud & obnoxious

Old 06-02-2003, 09:26 AM

RPM, are you going to the all Pontiac race weekend at Cordova? You aren't too far away. I must agree with the majority that X pipes do sound better and help the numbers slightly. Not only has Mr. Hand shown improvement, but Car Craft, NASCAR/Busch series, as well. The sound preference is "to each his own".