Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-17-2005, 10:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to semopontiacman

Hey guys, This is probley a stupid request for you,But. I am the only person IN my area that messes with pontiacs. I am needing help building a engine that will get some of these people to stop talking **** about pontiac.
I have a 1968 4 bolt 400 block Bored .030, a set of #16 heads,Looking into buying a stroker kit from ebay that includes, ross pistons, eagle crank,and eagle H beam rods.I would Like to run a solid roller cam. I have a 1968 lemans that I am planing to install this into. with a 400 turbo transmission, and a stall( No Idea what size). any and all help on this will be Great.
Thanks, Marc

Old 01-17-2005, 10:21 PM

Hey guys, This is probley a stupid request for you,But. I am the only person IN my area that messes with pontiacs. I am needing help building a engine that will get some of these people to stop talking **** about pontiac.
I have a 1968 4 bolt 400 block Bored .030, a set of #16 heads,Looking into buying a stroker kit from ebay that includes, ross pistons, eagle crank,and eagle H beam rods.I would Like to run a solid roller cam. I have a 1968 lemans that I am planing to install this into. with a 400 turbo transmission, and a stall( No Idea what size). any and all help on this will be Great.
Thanks, Marc

Old 01-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

before you buy the stroker kit just remember the eagle cranks need to be checked by a good machinist and have any problems corrected before you use it, you might even have trouble finding a stroker kit right now, most people are out of those cranks. If you want to make the most power possible with those #16 heads you better have them ported, either that or get an aftermarket aluminum head setup, either edelbrock or the KRE dports.if you dont port your heads the cam you choose doesnt have to be much over .500 lift because the stock cast iron heads dont flow enough for the need to go larger on the cam. It all depends on what you want and what you are willing to spend obviously.I have a 400 running stock untouched heads with roller rockers on them, the heads are #13's with 4 tube headers, my cam is just a little over .500 lift, 245 duration @50 with a 108 lobe seperation, the car runs 12.70's @ 108 mph, not bad for untouched heads, for the transmission it has a turbo 400 in it, with 3000 stall converter, 373 rear gears. car weighs 3500 lb. The intake is a performer with an 830 holley carb with a 2'' spacer. if you want to do something cheap this would be the way, other than that be ready to spend some money on either head work or aftermarket heads.
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PROJECT

Old 01-18-2005, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You're in luck to save a few bucks.

I'm getting ready to sell my crank and pistons from my stroker kit. Crank is an Eagle 4.25" stroke, pistons are Ross .030" over 455's for a 6.8" rod, and will include rings, pins, and spiralocks. All you'll need are Eagle H-beam 6.8" rods and a set of bearings to complete the rotating assembly. Just bore your block out .030" more and turn the mains down on the crank to 3.00" and you'll be good to go for 467 cubes.

Old 01-18-2005, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

street car, race car or both?

regardless, get ahold of braker's stuff first and go from there. you probably won't find a new eagle crank for 2 months and buying from a respected board member beats the hell out of ebay.

if you're willing to sacrifice streetability you can go pretty fast with ported 16's and a relatively mild roller cam. you will have to invest some money in the heads and other parts though.

Old 01-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Senior Chief

Brian Baker. If he is not interseted.
I am intersed in the crank and pistons. Please e-mail me at b.boring@mchsi or call 319-795-5821. Thanks.Bryan

Old 01-18-2005, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Need more info.
Daily driver?
Weekend warrior?
Street strip?

Expected ET or hp wanted.

Gears? head work?

Lot of info needed before deciding what all you will need to do.

Old 01-19-2005, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Marc, how close to 49 & 67 are you? You should think very hard about the ebay kits. The extra needed balancing cost in the end can be way more than the cost of buying from PDude or Bakers set up. I am guessing you know Larry Cooper is just north of you. I am by Six Flags off I-44, a couple hours away. I know a combo that will get your buddies mouths shut. Give me a call at 636-742-4075, ask for Byron Have you been around Doniphan / Fairdealing and seen the white 77 LeMans that runs around there for the last 5-6 years? Only a 350 Pontiac, but the car is a tank and so is the driver ( Brian Baker, you have nothing on this guys' size). Car still went mid 13's. That was before the gear change. I did that engine.

Old 01-20-2005, 02:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Either a 400 or a 455+ will work great. I fully recomend not getting the Ebay stuff, and buying from Brian or one of the vendors like P Dude, SD Performance, JBP or KRE. Also get some quality port work done by one of those guys as well, its more than worth the investment.

Old 01-22-2005, 02:44 AM

OK,,Thanks guys,,,this will not be much of a street driver,when you live 20 miles from where everyone shows off there rides,I will be hauling it to town.Brian Baker,,,email me and let me know how much for your set up you want to sell.(pontiacman77@hotmail.com).bmpmdf I live about 2 miles from 49 Hwy, I know of the coopers.Been there a few times,I do not know the guy in doniphan/fairdealing area with the lemans,,,but no one in poplar Bluff does either.
I was told I could get the crank from either eagle, or ohio crankshaft.I had planned on sending the heads to a shop a Mopar buddy had some port work done at in St.louis.Hopefully they can handle a pontiac head.or, if money alows after the short block getting some of Kre's D ports. I jusr bought a Victor off ebay,It will need a adapter because it is dominator flange,I already have the MSD probillet dis.and 7al,I just built a 400 transmission for it,already have the 3000 koan convertor.set of 4:10 gears,and install kit.

Old 01-22-2005, 02:48 AM

Also the 1969 400 block when I built this block b4,,,had to be sleaved on 4 of the cylinders,,,so I went ahead and did all 8.but I just remembered that the block it drilled,and tapped for 4 bolt mains,,,but had 2 bolt caps.what is up with that.anywaysThis will be my 2nd time building a not stock engine.so all the help I can get will be greatly needed.
if you have something I might need to buy,,email me at ontiacman77@hotmail.com
Thanks Guys,
Marc

Old 01-22-2005, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Marc, there are only three, no more than 4 shops in St.Louis that does good port work on Pontiacs. When you come up here to st.louis, give me a call. Oh, the LeMans has been parked since last spring. Family issues is one of the reasons eric (with the LeMans)isn't playing from what he told me over the phone.