Old 08-19-2003, 08:24 PM

I’ve come to the conclusion that my relationship with the goat is a lot like a marriage. It starts like this. You see each other, you fall head over heels in love, and you overlook a lot of warts just to be with each other. A few days pass and you wonder if you were out of your mind to commit to this relationship and are convinced it must have been some form of temporary insanity. You begin to ask deep questions: Can you take this all back? Maybe you could split up, break it off early before anyone gets really hurt. Maybe you were better off before you met her? How much is this damn commitment going to cost on my part anyway? Were my first instincts about her wrong? My life was simple before. Maybe it’d be better if we’d never met, I don’t know.

Then, with the infatuation gone, you start to develop a real relationship. You begin to trust her, start to adapt to her ways, mold to each other. Each day you fuss with her, tweaking her so she is truly yours. She starts shaping up, and you’re proud. And then… one day… the bitch goes out from under you. She leaves you walking and you don’t trust her anymore. You ask yourself: How could she do it? Will she do it again? Will you ever again be able to rely on her to be there when you need her?

After thinking about it, you realize you can’t quit on her. After all it’s a commitment. So you do what you can to make her better. Fix her flaws. Make old parts new, reliable. Heck, maybe it wasn’t even her fault? You remind yourself that you should have known about her weaknesses in the first place. You should have helped her before it got to this point. Something like this could happen to anyone. She didn’t mean it.

And soon, you start to go with her again. Little by little, you start to trust her more with each passing moment. Before long, you’ve almost forgotten that she was ever unfaithful. After all, how could such a thing of beauty ever treat you so badly?

And then one hot summer night, while driving down the freeway with the AM reverb on, engine rumbling sweetly in the humid air, breeze blowing past your hair, you realize you could be with this old girl a long time. When she’s behaving, there’s nothing finer. She is a lady of class, admired and respected. And at that point, you realize you will do whatever it takes to make her the best. You are proud of the old girl and want to be with her always. How could you have ever doubted that you wanted to be with her in the first place? This is love.

That’s what I felt tonight. The goat was mine. And it was good.

Old 08-19-2003, 08:24 PM

I’ve come to the conclusion that my relationship with the goat is a lot like a marriage. It starts like this. You see each other, you fall head over heels in love, and you overlook a lot of warts just to be with each other. A few days pass and you wonder if you were out of your mind to commit to this relationship and are convinced it must have been some form of temporary insanity. You begin to ask deep questions: Can you take this all back? Maybe you could split up, break it off early before anyone gets really hurt. Maybe you were better off before you met her? How much is this damn commitment going to cost on my part anyway? Were my first instincts about her wrong? My life was simple before. Maybe it’d be better if we’d never met, I don’t know.

Then, with the infatuation gone, you start to develop a real relationship. You begin to trust her, start to adapt to her ways, mold to each other. Each day you fuss with her, tweaking her so she is truly yours. She starts shaping up, and you’re proud. And then… one day… the bitch goes out from under you. She leaves you walking and you don’t trust her anymore. You ask yourself: How could she do it? Will she do it again? Will you ever again be able to rely on her to be there when you need her?

After thinking about it, you realize you can’t quit on her. After all it’s a commitment. So you do what you can to make her better. Fix her flaws. Make old parts new, reliable. Heck, maybe it wasn’t even her fault? You remind yourself that you should have known about her weaknesses in the first place. You should have helped her before it got to this point. Something like this could happen to anyone. She didn’t mean it.

And soon, you start to go with her again. Little by little, you start to trust her more with each passing moment. Before long, you’ve almost forgotten that she was ever unfaithful. After all, how could such a thing of beauty ever treat you so badly?

And then one hot summer night, while driving down the freeway with the AM reverb on, engine rumbling sweetly in the humid air, breeze blowing past your hair, you realize you could be with this old girl a long time. When she’s behaving, there’s nothing finer. She is a lady of class, admired and respected. And at that point, you realize you will do whatever it takes to make her the best. You are proud of the old girl and want to be with her always. How could you have ever doubted that you wanted to be with her in the first place? This is love.

That’s what I felt tonight. The goat was mine. And it was good.