THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-09-2024, 07:17 PM
Senior Chief

Default Air compressor *Not* required?

Do you think that the current offerings in battery powered tools are making an impact on air tools?

I hate doing a review on a tool I acquired just days or weeks ago. Without putting it through its’ paces and possibly dropping it 10 times (in one day alone) it’s hard to recommend something. I’ve been using more and more Milwaukee M12 “auto body type” tools at home for a while now. I have my whatever horsepower 60gal 2-stage air compressor here but sometimes during the day or late at night I don’t want that thing kicking on and cycling.

The power from these 12v tools is surprising and the current battery technology has created batteries that can run these tools for an impressive amount of time instead of just a few minutes like previous generations of battery powered tools. The features that are on them are also unique to battery vs air power in some instances and have grown on me.

The Bandfile for instance has 2 speeds and more importantly reverse. The reverse option is something I always would have loved on my Dynafiles. The 2 speeds is nice because sometimes you’re just not in a position to feather the trigger. I opted for the 3/8x13” option because I didn’t happen to have that option with my Dynafiles already (1/2”,3/4” currently). It does compare rather closely to the air powered versions in terms of power. It is hard to stall it out even when running aggressive grits like 40 or 60.

The cutoff is unique with reverse which is hardly standard on air cutoff tools. I have a reversible air one where the wheel runs perpendicular to the grip but I don’t know if they offer one parallel to the grip like these. Again the 2 speed thing is nice.

The nibbler is honestly a work of art. Power settings that include auto, where you can let it ramp itself up/down depending on load to save battery power. A chip collection bag that is damn near 100% at catching every single chip can’t go without mention either. The ability to take a cordless tool across the shop, out to the bed of your truck, or out in your shed to cut off a small piece of sheet metal without cords, chips or the need for a table to work on has changed how I view things now. How many times have you had full sheets of sheet metal stored in your garage and find it near impossible to set up a 5’x10’ table to cut off a 1’x1’ piece? On top of that it’s somehow quiet.

Anyways, these are just a few of the tools I’m feeling like I don’t want to live without, even with their air powered counterparts. I’m thinking if you live in a place where a large compressor isn’t an option or frequently see yourself needing to do repairs offsite at a friends house, maybe the quality of these tools has finally reached the point where you’re not sacrificing much if anything vs air power. The capability of these battery powered tools is feeling like it is reaching new levels. Admittedly, running a sander for hours would be a battery changing and charging hassle for sure.

How much could one paint with a rental nitrogen tank if the occasion rarely arises? Lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2332.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	633485