Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-17-2024, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You claim that I didn't debunk anything, yet you agree that tire stores won't sell 5 year old tires. If they won't sell them, they lose money. That is the debunk I was referring to - which you agreed with.

Quote:
"Lots" means more than 2 or 3, there is usually at least 2 or 3 shops selling used tires in bigger cities, especially in the southwest big cities, literally all over the place & they usually cant speak english very well! Just because you dont know of any in your town or used to work somewhere doesnt mean they arent out there all over the country.
In my position, I covered southern MN and northern IA. You are from IA, my territory in IA ran from New Hampton to Algona east to west and as far south as Hampton all the way to the MN border. My MN territory went from Rochester to Fairmont, MN. That's not just 1 town. Your own description of places that sell used tires speaks volumes: "& they usually cant speak english very well!"

If you are so flush with money that you can afford new tires every year (your words, not mine), explain to me why you won't replace old tires that pose a legitimate safety hazard. If not for your own safety, for the safety of those that share the road with you?

Based on a $1000 price for a set of tires, that breaks down to $125 - 166.00 per year based on a 6 - 8 year replacement cycle. That's less than a couple of tanks of gas for my GTO (based on $4.00 per gallon premium).

Your statistics, while valid for ALL tires, isn't valid for OLD tires. It actually doesn't say a word about old tires.

Quote:
Kane and his organization have identified over 250 incidents in which tires older than six years have experienced tread and belt separations — most resulting in loss-of-control and rollover crashes. These incidents were the cause of 233 fatalities and 300 injuries in 2012.
https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintena...over%20crashes.

Quote:
Each year, hundreds of people are killed in the U.S. because of defective or worn tires. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that 738 people were killed in car accidents caused by tire problems in 2017 alone.
Tire failures happen - new or old. But the increased risk of a tire failure for old tires is much greater. My sincere hope is that you not experience any tragedy due to your personal decision to run old tires. I was lucky and stopped before my old tire blew 20 years ago. Maybe you will be just as lucky some day in the future.

But I won't take that risk of running on old tires anymore after learning the facts of aged tires.