Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-26-2024, 01:55 PM

Default Running Rich, can't figure out why

Hi All,

Having an issue with 66 lemans with a 1970 455 (462), SD Performance prepped #96 heads, Stump Puller Cam (Comp Cams 230/236 112), HEI, edelbrock peformer intake, Holley 4160, RA manifolds and pypes 2.5 x-pipe exhaust, AC Delco R45S plugs

It's running rich I think, all 8 plugs were carbon fouled and I see carbon buildup on the pistons after 5K miles. I just started it up after being in an auto cocoon for 3 years.

I cleaned the plugs and regapped them at .45, for some reason they were much less with #3 plug actually touching the electrode, don't know why, can't remember if I effed it up quite a few years ago.

It does seem to be idling much better, still runs with a bit of a lope, about 750rpm at 12 degrees BTC, but it's still running rich I think. I don't have a fuel pressure regulator but the gauge is 7psi at idle.

The Holley is dual feed but only has the front mixture screws, those are only out 1/2 turn, rear float was ok, front float I lowered 1 full turn.

Tail pipes seems to have excessive smoke and moisture (will try to attach video) and my eyes tear up after 2 minutes of idling.

So I can't figure out why its running rich. My shop is next town over so there would be a delay in me getting out there to try stuff.

Here is the video.

https://youtube.com/shorts/0qrVQ5xFC9s
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0219241905a.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	629399