Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2024, 10:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Left rear wheel lock up

Took my 65 2+2 for a drive recently. Traffic ahead of me was stopped for a red light so I stepped on the brake to prepare to stop about 50 yards ahead of me. Going about 35 so this was no panic stop. If a panic stop is a 10, this was a 4. Left rear wheel locked up. Took me a second to realize what had happened at which point I released the brake for a second, then reapplied it with same pressure as before. LR wheel locked again. Released pedal then reapplied again. No lock up this time and car came to a stop smoothly. Drove to a nearby empty parking lot and tried to recreate the lock up, but could not. From 40 mph I applied the brakes with increasing force. Never got to a panic stop, but several stops at levels 5, 6, and 7. No lock up. Car has 8 lugs, power brakes, new master cylinder last summer, new hard brake lines and brake hoses about 6 years ago. Never had this happen on this or any other of my old cars. Haven’t pulled the wheel off yet. Master is still full of dot 5 fluid and no sign of leaks anywhere in system. What could have caused this?