Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-2023, 06:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Grill Pins

I working on a project to 3D print 68 GTO grill mounting pins, the ones that always break off. Not sure if the 69 uses the same type or not.

Anyway, when I was restoring my 68 I turned up a couple of needed pins on the lathe, smoothed off and drilled out a hole in the original pin location and installed the pin setup you see in the rendering below.

Kind of a pain and tedious to make them on the lathe out of aluminum so I thought I'd try 3d printing them. Results are good so far, they would mount the same way ... using the original location/pad with the remnants of the broken pin ground off, and a hole drilled to mount the new one.

Since the original project I have lost my measurements for the OEM pin and I don't have a spare grill here. I was wondering if someone could measure the pin diameter, length, and how large the circular base can be (seems like I remember some support ribs on the grill that limit the base size).

Strength of my test prints seem more than adequate.

Not sure if anyone needs a solution like this .. but pretty easy, do the prep on the mounting location, use a screw and washer on the back side, thread it into the new pin from the bottom ... done.

3D printing file, CADs file etc .. free for all when perfected. And I'm sure I could send out some for just the price of postage (please, just if you need them as opposed to "in case you need" them).

Also a picture of my other problem solver ... rivet on tabs for 68 defrost vents with tabs cracked off.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO-Grill-Pin.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	624993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grill-Pin-3D.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	624994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Defrost-Tap-Rev-1.jpg