Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-13-2023, 04:22 PM

Default Worth it to go roller?

Hey all,
I'm piecing together parts for my engine build and trying to decide on a camshaft or more specifically what type of camshaft to go with. I'm not on a tight budget but also building the whole car so I am trying to save money where I can or more correctly spend it wisely. Car is 66 lemans being built into a day 2 style street machine build, muncie 4 speed (will be swapped to tkx eventually), and 3.36 posi rear that I plan on a 9" swap and 3.70+ gears.

My current build plan is a 400 based stroker using a scat 4.25 crank and H beam rods, DSS 18cc dish pistons, cleaned up speedmaster 72cc heads, a solid flat tappet cam and a dual quad setup for which I currently have an offy but probably gonna pull the trigger on the new KRE intake.

The cams I am looking at are the Crower 60311, comp 51-245-4 or 51-246-4. I already have a NOS set of hylift johnson SFT lifters with the edm hole.

I decided to go this route originally after reading many roller lifter failures on this forum. Now however I am unsure and have read numerous flat tappet failures and even Butler's website recommends against them. Is it truly worth the additional $1000-1300 bucks to go roller?