Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2023, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 87 Octane OK?

67 LeMans with a 400 engine with a 4.00 stroke, 4.189 bore flat top pistons slightly down in the hole static compression works out to 9.0:1. Cam is a Voodoo hyd roller custom ground on a 114 LSA, 219/227 duration @.050, .515/.530 lift @1.5 but running 1.65 on the intake valve only. Auto trans (TH-400) with a mild converter that stalls around 1800 RPM. I'm using Johnson hyd roller lifters and have some lifter noise that I am unhappy about. Compression test I get 105 to 110 (cold) in all cylinders which I thought was quite low. Vaccuum is 16.5 at idle car idles very nice at 650-700 RPM with a very slight lope. Ported 6X heads and RA/HO exhaust manifolds 2-1/2 pipes going through Walker Dynomax 17749 mufflers, Tomahawk intake with Q-Jet. Engine drives very smooth and very responsive right off of idle and very happy with the power.

My question is do you think I can safely run 87 octane pump gas.