THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-21-2023, 11:45 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
Ya, it's a shame and I've got them on camera doing it. PERFECT pics in the act.

So let's say I go the KSO and file a report, they upload from my disc and find them.

Now I get summoned to Court, sit their most of the day while they wade thru the case load to get to mine, just to have them plead not-guilty and they'll schedule another hearing. Then at the next hearing they'll just get some sort of minor slap on the hand, probation, and right back on the street.

That'll be nearly two days out of the shop and part of my life I'll never get back for a lousy $40 lock box, a couple dozen ears of corn and less than $100 in cash......NONE of which I'll get any restitution for, not to mention the $1000 in income for the time out of the shop.
Chit, I woln't even get paid back for the fuel I had to put in my vehicle to attend both hears..........it's just not worth it.........
Cliff, I worked in law enforcement for over 30yrs and can tell you that most likely what would happen in this case is a citation would be issued for an ordinance violation because of the little amount of money/property value stolen. The bad guys would probably not pay the fine and the court would default them and find the guy(s) guilty. Bad guys mostly liked wouldn't pay the fine and depending on the laws of your state, several actions could be taken, including suspending drivers' licenses, etc.

I can see your frustration because I've handled these cases many times in the past. Things have really changed recently, and property crimes have risen because of the poor state of the economy and other social reasons that would bore you to death. It is sad that you can't trust many people today. When I attend car shows now with my ride, I NEVER leave it alone like I used to when looking at other cars in the show. Too many things' people can take right of my car quickly, so I stay with it. Very sad but that is the world we live in at the movement and I don't see it changing anytime soon!!!