Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-10-2023, 09:55 PM

Default 1967 Pontiac 400 engine build

Building this for a 1967 GTO using a tremec 5 speed with .68 5th gear, 3.55 rear gears.
I want to keep the 670 heads and was planning on using ram air exhaust manifolds (if I can even get them!). I want to make this a reliable cruiser and I would like to burn 87-89 octane. I want to get as much performance as I can but in reality I know that will be limited as I want reliability and economy over brute horsepower!
Now I need advice on camshafts. I was going to use a flat tappet hydraulic then 2 Pontiac businesses said basically there is a 50-50 chance these days that a flat tappet cam is going to fail. I have read all about the correct oil to use and correct break in practice but there are still those out there that say in the world we are in quality is suffering. I don't want to go to the complications of a hydraulic roller either.

So what recommendations do you have for a camshaft manufacturer and specifications? I was looking at the comp cams xe268 any recommendations?

I was looking at keeping compression in the 8.7-8.9 range, any recommendations?

Piston manufacturer and specifications? I was looking at maybe Ross forged 22-24cc dish pistons, recommendations?

Do I need to rebalance? My machine shop says it isn't necessary, recommendations?

Do I need hardened seats? My machine shop says they aren't necessary since I won't be towing or racing, recommendations?

Can I use the existing cast rods? Do I need ARP rod bolts?

Any vendors out there that you would recommend to supply components?

Any other wise advice would be appreciated as there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable members out there?