Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-31-2023, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Header- aluminum pan distance.

I have been jumping through hoops getting the Mad Dog race headers to fit my GTO. They are 3 piece so its a little like a jigsaw puzzle getting them on the car.
Nice headers though. They way the tubes are is a much straighter shot than my Hookers.
I sent the passenger side back to have a tube moved outward that interfered with my aluminum pan with big kickout.
I get them back and they still hit the sump when I bolt the middle section on without slip fit collector .
But fortunately when I get the collector on it pulls over the # 4 tube to the passenger side enough so it missed the pan by a whole .025 !!
So it looks like a have to massage a small section of header tube. Make a little flat spot for more clearance.
I am thinking a 1/4" gap between the header tube and aluminum sump will be enough as to not effect the integrity of the aluminum oil pan heat wise.

Sound about right ?

I do not want to dent the tube so much. Can not see why a small dent 1/4" deep will effect anything flow wise.
My Hookers have all sorts of dents in the tubes from the factory.