Pontiac - Race The next Level

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2023, 09:59 PM

Default 1968 Firebird - Drag shock advice needed

I am looking for some advice on shock selection for my 68 Firebird. It is way overdue for an upgrade. Car has run 9.6 at 138-139 with a 455 based stock block engine with some good pieces (800+ HP). 8.9 just playing with a 175 shot. Weighs 3600 with driver.

Car has the stock style front suspension setup; control arms, steering and all with a set of god-who-knows how old CE front shocks. The front springs seem to hold a decent ride height.

The rear has a split mono leaf cal track setup. Has a 9 inch in it with a set of equally dated single adjustment shocks in the rear. I think they are ranchos, or something like that. They are completely smoked.

Going to try and get one last hurrah out of the car with the 470 before I swap in my 535 (935HP). Also have a 507 aluminum build underway that eventually will make it in there. Goal with that engine is 1050. So a progression...

I have my eyes on a set of QA1 TD 505 double adjustable stocker star shocks for the front. Will probably upgrade the control arms too if that is advised. Are these shocks a good choice?

The old rears I will get pictures of, so that an informed decision can be made. They do not mount like the factory shocks.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Travis.

Last edited by ChiefCrazyCanuck; 03-06-2023 at 10:09 PM.