Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-19-2022, 12:23 AM

Default Street solid flat VS Hyd roller & solid lifted hybrid

You know when you take too much time to finish something you second gues yourself and start acting weird...well here I am.

A little back ground for the car...

Have a new, entirely forged stroker 461 with SD performance CNC iron heads (260 cfm)., Ported Aluminum 71 HO intake and Quadrajet, Dougs 1 3/4 headers

Transmission is Jakes TH400 with Continental 10" Jim Hand special with balloon plate ( running nitrous too) Built , 8.5 10 bolt 30 spline axles with True trac and 3.08 gears

Car is a stock looking 73 bird. thats I drive a couple times per week, the car has manual brakes so poor vacuum is not an issue)

Now , its been 2 years that I want to finish the engine but time and focus is always the issue.

Long story short, I was dead set on a Old faithful II HR cam from Dave at SD performance, and run a set of Comp Solid roller lifters ( Second generation) on it as a hybrid solid/HR set up which seemed to work well for Cliff and some other guys here.

But Im currently refreshing my 454 LS7 and putting an old Ultradyne 402A3 , its a solid flat in it last week made me think...

My question is , how much would I leave on the table , not running the SD Oldfaithful II cam and roller lifters and going to a simpler cheaper Solid flat cam?

My problem seems to lie in my gearing , 3.08 and decent solid flat cams for Pontiacs dont seem to go well together when I look at cam recommendations....

keep in mind that I spray near 200hp on top of this.