Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-28-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Basically what I said earlier, but was met with, "I have 670 heads already". 670 heads aren't going to be the answer to the question, IMO.

Throughout the years the 670 head has been given a lot of ink, but there are better choices for the car in question. This is a cruiser, not a racecar. They surely wouldn't be my choice if I were going to try to wring power from a street car. They likely won't run on pump fuel, even premium fuel. I had a 67 engine for my 67 GTO racecar that I took off the 670 heads in favor of 62 heads before installing in my car, because I always felt the open chamber was superior to the closed chamber bathtub.

The regular fuel 400 basically used the 66 389 heads, hence the reason for one year only pistons with the older holdover valve inclination angle. In 68 the regular fuel engine became the same valve inclination angle as the premium fuel engines. I believe they gave up the bathtub combustion chamber also in all 1968 engines. When I worked at a Pontiac dealer in 1970 I remember a running change during the 1967 model year for broken valve springs, so depending on where in the model year the heads fell, they may have the old springs that were recalled.

If the car runs as poorly as the OP says, there has to be something fundamentally wrong with the engine, but I already have mentioned this in my previous posts. Putting hi compression heads on an engine that runs poorly is just a waste of time. Finding out why this engine runs so poorly would be my first priority, before pouring a bunch of money into a unknown quantity.

If the engine is worn out, or has low compression due to a mechanical defect, the OP might be ahead to find a 428/455 in running condition, and come out with more engine, for less money. Win, win
This is exactly why I made this post. I appreciate all of the comments and information. I see now why I cant nor shouldnt use the 670s. My plan now is to do the 2.42 to 3.23 gear swap first. The car runs well. It's just a heavy slug. As far as I know the timing gears are original so a new set is in order at 108K. Obviously I will do a compression check prior to doing anything with the engine. If the compression is good than I will pick out a new cam because I'm there. Replace the timing gear set and install the 4BBL setup. As far as a choice of cam I'm thinking about one that makes power down low. Like you said it's a cruiser not a racer. Any suggestions? TIA

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk