Pontiac - Race The next Level

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-22-2022, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Cylinder head dimples/golf balls Q

I watched a David Vizard video the other day around head porting and tests he has done. Very interesting stuff indeed.

He said dimpling/golf balling the head while extremely expensive has great benefits but did not elaborate.

I thought i saw some photos of heads that had this type of work done and certainly looked unique.
what's the benefit of it?
would you do it to the intake manifold as well?
anyone ever have it done or know someone that has?
is it something that only works with big cam lifts or large CFM heads?
how complicated is it to do?
and if it's that beneficial why wouldn't aftermarket cylinder heads have that as an option to buy if its something a CNC machine can do?

After seeing Davids video and mentioning of the golf balling, i did a quick youtube search about golf balls and there are many out that explain why they have dimples, however i haven't had a chance to watch them. I'm sure there is a science to that, and is that why its applied to heads?