Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-02-2022, 05:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I got the fuel pump wired and fired. No leaks and about 62psi. I had fired the engine on starting fluid and all cylinder fired (verified with IR temp gun on headers). So I figured it would fire right up once I got the fuel system charged. Nope! Only #7 was firing. This is a high mileage 5.3 that has been sitting a long time. The fuel logs were pretty nasty when I flushed them out. Classic rotten gas. So, I checked to make sure all of the injectors had 12volts and grounds were pulsing. I'm getting a handle on this new engine troubleshooting game! I removed all of the injectors and tested them with a power supply. As expected, only the #7 clicked. I drilled holes in cardboard so the injectors would be vertical. Filled them up with carb cleaner and let them soak for a couple of hours. No improvement. When I went to A&P school, one of my instructors told me a story about cleaning some Lycoming injectors. He had some that would NOT come clean. He had tried every available cleaner and solvent. One night he was cleaning his guns. He was using Hoppe's #9 nitro bore solvent. My dad used the same as I do. I even like the smell of it! Lol! So, he decide to soak the nozzles in it. Amazingly they came as clean as new! I've had a bottle of it in my shop ever since. If you soak brass parts in it overnight, they look bright as new. I soaked the 5.3 injectors in it. Within 15 minutes they started freeing up. Four started working so far. I still have three that are being stubborn. Might have to spring for three new ones. It only takes about ten minutes to throw it all back together. So I put it back together with three bad injectors. To my amazement, it started right up and idled! Couldn't even tell that three cylinders weren't firing. Can't wait to get all eight clicking.

I also made a billet mounting block to support the supply, and return, fuel line

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO 6.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	592007  

Last edited by JSchmitz; 06-02-2022 at 05:56 AM.