Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-08-2021, 05:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Backfire all of the sudden?

The pontiac gods just dont want me to enjoy my car for the last couple months of the season. See other threads for that story.

With that said, the issue du jour - I went to change my distributor cap, rotor and plugs off a perfectly fine running car. Started car up expecting smooth, and got an intermittent backfire coming out the back of the car.

I thought somehow I must have screwed up the distributor install, or its a bad part, so i put the old rotor and cap back on and the backfire is still there.

Not sure what I would have bumped to cause this phenomenon, or if something just coincidentally went bad at the same time i did this cap/rotor change? seems suspect. but stranger things have happened.

Ive got a petronix setup, and it has worked perfectly fine from the get go. the car has a lot of grounds so i never had the issues others have seen. I also have a few month old MSD 6AL that works fine too. And its a tripower.

In this video, you can hear the backfiring in the first 15 seconds or so at start up, then it runs fine, and about 40 seconds in more backfiring out the exhaust. https://youtu.be/4a8KSbzoeqI

How should I trouble shoot this? thanks for any thoughts guys.