Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-06-2021, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
Just out of curiosity I went to Art Carrs site. For the 200-400 HP 200R4 its $2499 with a 300 core charge, shipping and I dont think that comes with a converter. Add $400 for the 400-600 HP model. Im sure you can probably get that cheaper locally, but by how much? Arent transmission rebuilds just expensive these days period? And do you trust a 200R4 built by someone who isnt an expert specifically on that model? Like I said earlier, Im not one of the guys yelling DONT DO IT with the 200s, but there are only a handful of names I feel good about in that process.

We probably have some transmission rebuilders on the site. I would be curious what real world gets charged for a 200r4 and for a 4l80e to be freshened up. I havent had it done in over a decade, so Im sure I am out of touch. I only ever see the Boutique type shop prices on the internet.

Moral of the story I guess that is that getting overdrive into a classic BOP isnt cheap. Especially if you are making any kind of power.
i may be a little out of touch too on prices for a complete 200r, havent checked the art carr site for a few years, looks like the 400hp is $2500 now & the 600hp is the added cost. as with anything in 2021, prices have increased a ridiculous amount, pre covid i bet the 400hp was a few hundred under 2k.

i did just have a th350c rebuilt locally in the last 2-3 years, called around to the big name trans shops, they wanted $600-$800, aamco being the highest & the others were bigger shops that have been around my town for 30-40 years. this is for a basic rebuild, no fancy race parts but included a name brand rebuild kit, 1yr warranty, with me bringing the trans to them. not sure how much more a 200r, 700r, or 4l60/80 would be.

im all for using the better trans if/when its needed. for this situation its going to be cruising around town & doing 70+mph commutes on the highway with 400hp . in this case the 200 would probably be the cheaper & easier install, i recall HPP was doing some articles on 200r swap & you could use a factory x/member, & maybe even the stock driveshaft, no trans tunnel mods & keep the factory shifter.

i fully agree any OD option will be expensive. in this situation, a cheaper & easier way by far would be to just change the rear gear, a 3.08 or 2.73 would be ok except for long interstate trips at 80+mph. & could keep the good th400.