Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-06-2021, 09:34 AM

Default Lifter faliure

The last day before winter storage i did some "pedaling" of the car, about 1 minute later coming to a stop at a roundabout i could hear erratic lifter tic.
When pulling away the tick continued, i parked the car at my winter storage.

notes: there was no change in engine vacuum, idle or oil pressure.

Last weekend i pulled the valve covers off, started the car and attempted to adjust the preload on my nr.6 exhaust lifter (obvious noise form this lifter) i backed of the poly lock setscrew all the way and adjusted the lifter til the rockerarm bottomed out on the stud it did quiet down when i was bottoming out the rocker on the stud, but obviously this is not a good solution.

During the winter i am planning on swapping out camshaft, lifters and timing set.

i have no clue on what cam and lifters are in the engine now, i assume Comp cams, since valve springs (double) and pushrods are comp cams. i could inspect the top of the lifters trough the pushrod hole and they have the paperclip style retainer.

Rigth now there is a crower 60919 cam aviable on a local to me marktplace: link https://www.finn.no/bap/forsale/ad.h...kode=212132754

I can also source some lifters with very little info on them, all i have to go on is: hydraulic lifter HP anti-pump up and a part number: HL1951R .

Maybe related to Elgin HT 951R ? alterd part number? but i can't know for sure.

I already have a pushrod checker tool from comp cams.

Now my combo as far as i know:

73 455 YC block bored 0.60 over
6x8 heads (stock as far as i know.)
pistons are sealpower/Speedpro vms75 6.7CC dish
rear gear 3:42
th400
Converter: seems like 13" brakestall to 1850 rpm, flashstall when goosing it about 2400 rpm
Headman full length headers 1 3/4" primaries
pypes complete 2.5" exhaust with x-pipe and racepro mufflers
EFI with full timing control and matched CD-box

i guesstimate my static CR at about 9.2:1

Would you use crower 60919 cam and HL1951R lifters, seeing as this is a weekend car with a few long trips to various car meetings around the country ranging from 300 miles to 500 miles plus on each meet, plus lots of city driving.

-469 ,Butler 310+ Eheads, Hurricane intake portmatched by butler, Butler roller 230/236 @0.50 112 LSA, Johnson lifters, pypes 2 1/2" exhaust, 3.42 yukon duragrip lsd, holley sniper efi, hyperfuel efi tank +++