Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2021, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerboy View Post
Was the vacuum hose disconnected from the nipple BEFORE you took the fuel tube off?

Quote:
Stock distributor, stock coil and points. Everything new/rebuilt. Using an Innova digital timing light.
SOME timing lights have logic circuitry so that above a certain RPM, they only flash on every other spark pulse. Saves on the strobe light.

But it would still seem to be even flashing, what I hear being described is uneven flashing accompanied by misfire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
To test the condenser fully which is a capacitor you need a meter that can test for ESR ( effective series resistance) because a cap should have very very low resistance to it.
In place of that tester if you have a ohm meter hook it up to the lead and the body of the condenser.

When you do this the meter will flash a resistance reading and then go to infinity, or reading open.
If you get any reading once the condenser charges up of even 10,000 ohms then it’s bad.
Testing ESR is important, but testing the actual capacitance would be even moreso. And as you said, testing from the wire lead to the case and getting less than infinite resistance (capacitor shorted to ground) would be a sure sign that the capacitor / condenser was defective.

Quote:
I pulled the rotor and everything appears in order. No wires have any worn insulation.
I haven't dicked with distributor points and condenser in decades. WHERE is the distributor condenser? Around the back where the photo doesn't show it? And the failed insulation could be UNDER the breaker plate. If the distributor was "restored", I assume the wires are fresh and still supple.

That's not the distributor condenser. That one is for the voltage regulator. There'll be another one on the + side of the coil. It isn't that one, either. The one in the distributor is electrically connected to the - side of the coil, but it's housed in the distributor.

Quote:
Here’s what the plugs look like;

Those plugs are way darker than I'd expect given their low mileage--250 miles.

Using some sort of fuel additive?

Mixture overly-rich? Fuel curve wrong? Choke stuck on? Idle mixture screws not adjusted properly?

Quote:
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hate evil, repetitive Tapatalk advertising.

Last edited by Schurkey; 09-26-2021 at 10:20 PM.