Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2021, 10:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Carb anomalies

Carb is a Holley 4779-1, no choke tower.
Getting ready for a cruise in. Warming up engine till it idles without feathering the throttle. AFR in gear is high 12's to mid 13's, temp about 120 +/-. Idles nice, not too stinky, not hunting. 40 min @ 62mph to cruise in. Cruise afr basically mid 15's. Wot at mid 12's. Get to city. Stopped at lights, idle afr now at low to mid 14's, temp 180. Idle steady. Left lights, cruise and wot same. Couple of hour later, leaving cruise in, temp at 110, idle afr at high 16's low 17's. Engine hunting by 100 to 200 rpm. Dies in gear. Drive to store, engine fully warm, 180. Idle afr high 15's to low 16's. Engine hunts and dies in gear before I shut it off. 40 min drive home. Cruise and wot same. Pull into garage, idle afr high 14's mid 15's, engine hunts slightly, stays running till I shut it down.
Went to same car cruise two weeks ago, and previous trips into town, no problems. Earlier in the summer I dialed in the heavy part throttle and wot using the secondary jets and pvcr. I have two primary metering blocks with different size pvcr's. Ended up with the one I started with.
Comments/suggestions?

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ