The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2021, 08:24 PM
Senior Chief

Default 1970 GTO has a wicked drivers side lean

1970 GTO. Ridiculously long term project....not sure whether to put this in the body section or suspension...

Quick backstory for context: I got the car eons ago. It had been in a minor fender bender some time in the 70's, stripped of its drivetrain (including the factory discs & rear end) & left for dead . 49xxx original miles. The frame & original floors were beautiful & straight, except for some cracking at the rear shock mounts. I embarked on a body-off rebuild; I've already done a few A & G bodies, so I'm pretty well versed in what's involved. I did have to replace the 1/4's & trunk floor. During the sheet metal work I had the body on & off the frame a couple times and it always bolted together with no issues.

Jump ahead to last year. I sent the frame to a guy who blasted it, boxed the rails & added some gussets to the rear crossmember - he also repaired & braced the rear shock mounts. Then he powder coated it. I put the body back on the frame with all new bushings, everything went perfectly fine. Body bolted down easily, perfect side to side alignment measuring from the rocker pinch weld to the frame. Panel gaps are really good, doors & trunk open & close as they should, etc...Zero indication (to me at least) that there are any issues with the frame..

The car is on blocks placed under the front tires & rear control arms, so the suspension is loaded. All the blocks have been shimmed to be as close to level as I can get. Front tires are a matching pair. I'm in the final body work stages, fitting doors & sheetmetal, which is going very well (except for the known issues with repro front fenders). Full suspension, but no engine/trans, or glass...or interior....

This thing sits about 1 1/2" lower on the drivers side rear than the passenger side. I've tried 2 sets of rear springs - no change. This has me very worried that something went sideway when the frame was boxed.

I would think that if the frame were twisted enough to make the car sit that unlevel it would be so corkscrewed I'd be able to see it with my naked eye....I would think a frame that twisted would put up a fight when trying to bolt the body down. As noted, I had no issues.

Looking for opinions if I need to worry about this now, or should I wait until the car is more completed? Weight of a drivetrain and so on...Usually I don't get too worked up over a cars stance when it's this incomplete, but this is so obliviously wrong I'm debating on taking it to a different frame shop as it is.