Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2021, 07:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default AC Condenser and Auxiliary Trans Cooler Effect on Engine Cooling System

I'm struggling with a running hot issue in my 69 Bird that started after installing a Vintage Air AC Condenser - the AC compressor and rest of system aren't installed yet. The car already had an auxiliary B&M plate style cooler installed in series with the trans cooler in radiator. Currently, the trans cooler is in front of condenser with about 1/4" clearance (see pic). Prior to installing the AC condenser, it wouldn't go past 200 in stop and go traffic (in gear) - now it will climb to 215 (I haven't waited for it to go higher). In park or neutral it'll creep slower and yesterday's testing (in Park) held about 200 in 95 degrees ambient temp. At cruising speed temperature stays under 190.

I'm concerned once AC is functional the situation will get way worse...trying to stay away from electric fan set up if at all possible.

Pertinent facts on build:

-69 Firebird, 400/461 with Edelbrock D-port heads and Sniper EFI
-Cold Case direct fit radiator with 1.25' tubes; 180 T-Stat and 50/50 coolant and distilled water
-19.5" 7-blade clutch fan w/2.25" pitch
-Hayden 2797 fan clutch- bimetal coil tab moved into new slot CCW to engage clutch at lower temp
-Factory shroud and lower/upper baffles in place
-Water pump is 11 bolt, cast iron impeller, has sleeves w/rubber O-rings in place and plate/impeller clearance is a little more than thickness of gasket
-Spring in lower radiator hose
-Sniper EFI is tuned well - idle RPM is 850 and idle timing is 25

The below pics illustrate placement of trans cooler, factory shroud/fan, and altered fan clutch spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trans cooler.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	571839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radiator shroud.jpg
Views:	834
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	571840   Click image for larger version

Name:	fan clutch.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	571841  

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
‘66 Lemans, 455, KRE D-Ports, TH350, 12 bolt 3.90 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: work in progress

Last edited by grivera; 08-24-2021 at 08:05 AM.