Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-2021, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Larger oil pump pickup

I am making my own pickup for my Steffs oil pan.

There is a issue others have talked about with say a Canton pickup. The dia is small, turns are tight and the pickup itself is a rectangle with hole to one far side.
Not good. people have reported oil pressure dipping on acceleration.
I talked to Mark Luhn about this and he told me things they did. I am doing something they used to do with my own twist to it. He said a lot of engines blow up because of this issue. And I can not have that !
I bought a slightly larger pickup (Ford I think) with a proper cone shaped pickup itself.
Tube is .814 vs .750 stock. Its no much larger but if you understand flow in a pipe you would know that a small increase in the size of the circle gives a much larger increase in flow.
So I bored the pump out for a slight press fit. Chopped the long pickup into sections I could put to use. And to solve my issue of two 90* corners needed I used a 1 3/4" long section of 1" pipe.
Thinking sort of like a 'fuel log" for a carb. You can make 90* turns if one pipe is much larger than the other so the liquid can make the turn without restriction.
I had to drill 2 13/16 holes in the 1" pipe. One for a short section of pickup tube to go the the pump. And the other for the cone shaped pickup itself.
I cut a slices out of a piece of 1 1/4" shaft to cap the 1" pipe for the last step of the process.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040936.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	564718   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040941.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	564719   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040942.jpg
Views:	303