Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-10-2021, 09:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Bad Alternator?

1970 T/A: Factory volt gauge indicated 13.8 volts with engine running with new battery fully charged. Next day on a test run the factory volt gauge only indicated 12.5 volts with engine running. Put my multi-meter on battery posts with engine running and got 12.5 volts. Took alternator to local auto electrical shop for repair. Reinstalled "repaired" alternator but still same exact results. Is there any other potential issues that would cause a "non charging" condition that I can check for before taking alternator back to repair shop? Car is 100% restored including battery cables, starter, engine wiring harness etc. Also, I took the "repaired" alternator to NAPA for bench test and they said "failed", then took alternator to Oreilly auto for test and that machine said "Pass". Thanks for any ideas.