THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-2021, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Small town cop, traffic stop, WTF???

Saturday afternoon I was going to the next town east of the village I live in (London Ohio) to do some grocery shopping, and stop at the Walmart, roughly 10 miles away. Anyone that has spent much time in Ohio, or lives here knows the town cops watch where speed is reduced from 55 MPH going into small towns,

As usual there are 2 town cops sitting in the seniors center parking lot looking for people to be more than 5 MPH over the posted speed, which is 35 MPH. I know they sit there and I'm well within the speed limit and as I pass the one cop pulls out behind me. He follows me into town where the street is 4 lane and through the course of 5 traffic lights has chosen to ride in the lane next to me. We probably stopped at 3 of the 5 traffic lights so he has been sitting next to me for at least a minute during these stops.

At the far end of the main drag the road splits into a Y and I'm in the left lane to go north, he moves in behind me from the right lane. I have a pet peeve about people that don't use turn signals, and from driving tractor trailer it's ingrained to use turn signals, and I always do, along with paying close attention to speed limit changes.

The speed limit coming into town drops from 55 to 50 to 35 and then down to 25. He was sitting in the section originally where it goes from 50 to 35, and since I'm familiar with the graduations, I follow the speed limit to the letter, use my turn signals at every lane change and turn as I always do. He's now shadowed me a mile and a half, and just as I'm ready to turn into the Kroger store he lights me up, and blips the siren. I for the life of me can't believe he's pulling me over, so I turn off the main drag into the parking lot, and pull over to the curb.

I know some here know, that I inherited my mothers 99 GP about 3 years ago, when she gave up driving at 96. It's a ex Mary Kay car that is painted a GM color called, yep, you guessed it, Mary Kay Pink. My parents bought it as a returned lease car in Phoenix, at 1 year old in 2000. Salesman told them the color wasn't pink, it was Arizona white, and it was to mimic the pink Arizona sunsets, which is a total used car salesman BS story. My mother told me that crock, until I proved to her that GM has no such color as Arizona white, and the car was an ex Mary Kay car, returned from lease after 1 year. Mary Kay does not buy cars, they only lease them for their top tier salespeople. They pay the lease if you sell enough product month by month, as soon as the salesperson misses their quota the company doesn't pay for that month, the salesperson pays the lease payment.

I roll the window down as he looks into the rear seat area, I guess to see if I had a shot gun lying back there, and asks me if I have the registration card for the car, which I do. He says that according to the info he's pulled up on his computer, that this car is supposed to be pink, and it's not pink. He wants to match the VIN to the plate which he does, then insists the car is white, and not pink.

This particular day the sun is directly overhead, and under real bright sun, the car does look white, if you don't look at it closely, but put it next to a white car and it's evident, it's not white.

I tell him, I cannot believe he's pulling me over because he can't tell the car is pink, and he thinks these plates aren't registered to this car. After matching the VIN to the registration, I'm kind of ticked off, and tell him the car is pink, it's painted a GM color from the factory, and the actual name of the color is Mary Kay Pink. I wish it wasn't pink, but it's my parents car, and they have since passed, so I'm keeping it.

Another irregularity is, he never asks for my driver license, or proof of insurance, that is so weird. They always ask for your drivers license, and proof of insurance every time I've been stopped for anything, they are all about license, and insurance, not argue the color of the damn car.

So now Barney Fife is apologizing to me for pulling me over to look at the pink car, which he insists is white, to check to see if I swapped plates without transferring them. He tells me I'm free to go, so I do.

That has to be the weirdest traffic stop for no real reason, that I've ever encountered, or heard anyone tell me about....................

I'm sure someone here can top that one though.....

"IT'S NOT PINK, IT'S WHITE"!!!!!

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated