Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-24-2020, 06:41 PM

Default 1959 Cylinder Head Questions

I'm new to the forum and am researching before jumping into my first 389 build. I could use some help regarding the cylinder heads, and a forum search doesn't provide answers. Sorry for all the details below, but I'd rather be specific than vague.

Background:
I have a virgin factory 1959 389 four-barrel engine and hydramatic that I rescued from someone advertising it as scrap metal. It's going in a 1927 Ford Model T roadster late 50's build, so hopefully you'll forgive me for not having a Pontiac to put it in.

My intent is to build a mildly hopped up engine since the 1,800 lb roadster doesn't need much to fly, nor can it plant much torque to the ground. The cylinders should clean up at .030. So far I'm leaning toward running a 3x2 intake setup, 068 cam (around 5K redline), bump up the compression to 10.5:1, replace the factory rods with either aftermarket or later OEM (I've read the factory rods are a weakness on the '59 - '60), port-match the intake and exhaust manifolds, and run 1-1/2" headers, 2-1/4" pipe, good mufflers. I'm up at 5,400' elevation where engines lose about 15% compression versus sea level, hence why I'd like the 10.5:1 which runs fine on 91 octane up here. Still debating transmissions, so the cam might change.

The engine has a pair of '59 531395 heads. I notice multiple forum posts by people here and on other sites discussing using later heads. I'd like to run the '59 heads if possible since I have them, they look very period with the reverse-flow cooling, and because they are smaller 62cc chamber.

My Questions:
1) Will the '59 heads be adequate for the engine build described above.

2) Do '59 heads require hardened seats, or is the iron alloy strong enough for unleaded gas to where new valves and a valve job will do. Keep in mind this is not a commuter car and will be driven for fun around town and occasional 1/4 mile runs at the strip where I'd use leaded fuel. It might see 1K miles a year.

3) If the heads do require hardened seats, are there issues with installing hardened seats in these '59 heads, such as hitting water jackets, heat cycles cracking the casting due to lack of casting material, etc.

4) Are the factory hollow press-in studs sturdy enough to withstand a 068 cam's required seat pressure, or are they known to pull?

I know this is a long post, and I appreciate any feedback.