Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2020, 12:37 PM
Senior Chief

Question Lifter advice (HFT)

Looking for advice on what lifters to run. I’ve done so many searches and have read countless threads on this forum as well as others and my head is now spinning.

I’ve come to the following conclusions...

-Purchasing lifters from any one of the cam manufacturers is a crap shoot. No way to know if they are US made or manufactured offshore.

-Offshore manufacturers even appear to use some of the same or similar part numbers or even company names lol.

-Many threads say to purchase HyLift Johnson (most likely through a forum member here).

If I go that route which lifters would I want? 951? 951R?

I have a ‘72 400 that I’m presently rebuilding with low-compression ‘79 6x-4 heads just back from the shop. Cam will be Crower 60240 (again, countless forum post searches and reading lol).

HyLift Johnson appears to say that the 951R’s are 951’s with a faster bleed down rate. I assume I don’t need that for my rather mild situation but am confused because because I’ve read that everyone seems to recommend the R’s (even in threads regarding similar cams like the XE262). Are the standard 951’s fine in my case? I’m open to any suggestions or ideas. I’ve read so much conflicting stuff it’s now just stressful to think about it any more haha.

Thanks

Last edited by Entropy11; 02-07-2020 at 12:47 PM.