Pontiac - Race The next Level

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-11-2019, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Finally a little seat time in the IA/Camaro

Made some runs at a track rental at Baytown last night. About 20 cars one lane for street radials one for slicks. Finally had time to do several runs in a row. A little disappointing but I figure had a LOT of years to work the gremlins out of the 1978 Trans Am and only about 6 or 7 passes in the Camaro niow. Air was not great either 80s with humidity I think DA was 2600ft. A few glitches. I was so used to foot braking TA in burnout the brakes held the rear too much. Tried the line lock then it quite working so finally just buzzed the tires . Even with poor burnouts the track was well prepped and it stuck. I think the convertor is just too tight. It is one I got from Lynn Mcarty's Trans guy years ago fro one of the 455s he felt would still work on the 500". I know the old 5000 stall A-1 I had in the 455 would be too loose. From what I could tell on replay tach slowly goes to 4500, replay tach was not always cooperative either. Only had 1.7ish 60 fts. Also either the throttle return springs are to heavy from what I am used to or maybe the carpet makes it to where I have to really stomp the gas pedal. Took me awhile to figure that out.First run also short shifted as shift light did not set right and I only ran a 12.5@ 107!! Finally got 10.88@ 127 stomping the gas pedal like I was doing a leg press! One run between the two 11 second runs I pulled the air cleaner off to see if it was a restriction and it lean popped so bad it stalled! Same setup as when off the dyno so need to rejet I guess.

I have a data logger I tried to use I will check, see if I worked it right. It has a wide band to look at AFR for the carb. If I can figure out the program! New car new stuff but started feeling better and more familiar the more runs I got.

Also even with a 2 row Griffin aluminum radiator, fan and good shroud it stays 190-210 even pulling down the return road whereas the TA cools right down with it's 4 row radiator. So may nee a pusher fan to turn on or even add an electric water pump.

They did have the scale on and with me weighs 3595lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	timeslips 10 10 19.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	521987  

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs