Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-01-2019, 09:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I found this thread of a build that Paul Carter did for a client who wanted the 703 in an iron D-port Head 455. The results were impressive.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=776169

Although the Round Port E-Heads could certainly make good use of more cam, I can’t help but believe you’d get better numbers than iron D-ports with the 703.

Think of the now tired ‘Junker to Thumper’ article: boneyard, non-rebuilt motor made 390 hp with unported 7k3 castings and power jumped to 440hp with a pair of original style bathtub chamber 87cc round port E-Heads ... using the much maligned XE-274. I know that article is a lightning rod on this forum, but I do think it provides a decent indication of how the E-Heads will generally make the most of whatever your cam can feed them.

Point is, if I had a brand new 703 on the shelf and was pressed for time and parts availability, I wouldn’t hesitate to use it.